Great Company

I have been working at Raytheon full-time

Pros

Excelent benifits, great opertunites to move around within the company

Cons

Working on a government contract does have its downsides, such as if the govenment goes with another contractor then you are pretty much SoL as far sustaining employement.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status
  1. Stable company, great benefits, work comes in spurts

Former Employee - Senior Engineer
    Former Employee - Senior Engineer

I worked at Raytheon full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I need to echo what others wrote about the noble mission of Raytheon. You really do have a sense of pride providing systems that will help America's military. Raytheon prides itself on building quality products - sometimes it accomplishes that goal, sometimes it misses the mark a bit. But the quality of the engineers is top notch. Benefits are great, company is solid, work is interesting, technology is cool. Not always "bleeding edge" because it takes time to build something for the government, but cool nonetheless.

Cons

Work comes in spurts. Either is it SUPER busy and oh-my-gosh-we-have-to-bust-our-necks-and-get-this-work-done-yesterday! Or you can be literally sitting around waiting for something to do, wondering if there is going to be a layoff or furlough. It's the nature of Raytheon's contract work. What is most frustrating is that you could have work to do and the time to do it, but you can't work on it until the contract starts, but by then you are in crunch time. Also, front line management are treated like dogs. I would never choose to be a section manager, even if there was something available, which there usually isn't because you have to wait for someone to retire or die before something opens up. Beside the managers fight all the time.

Advice to Management

Stop the turf wars and collaborate, already. Treat lower level management like people, not cattle. Promote a culture that is attractive to young workers building a career.

2. great

I worked at Raytheon

Pros

it was a great experience working there. great people. all hard working. there was a great family atmosphere there.

Cons

working for a govt agency just wasnt for me. the work was good but we were selling the same things to the same people for over 17 yrs.