Great People but Direction is the Question

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer II  in  El Segundo, CA
Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer II in El Segundo, CA

I worked at Raytheon full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Raytheon has some of the best people I ever worked with. The intelligence and creativity is unmatched. The perks and salaries paid are very competitive. The work culture is supportive. You do have to find your career path there and it is recommended that you find a mentor that can give you advice and push you to get your goals.

Cons

Limited resources due to outsourcing slowed reaching yearly goals. It was always a battle with limited budgets to get things done. Working with bright and enthusiastic vendor teams was not enough sometimes. Management seems to think technology can be developed by anyone off the street and get the same quality. Creativity to modify COTS tools to solve requirements where they were not originally designed to do that type of work gets old and frustrating really fast. The errors and problems from this approach can sometimes waste more money than it saves. Management needs to listen to good technical people for solutions instead of worrying about process so much. As for growing your career, getting training and education to grow your skill set has become limited and unavailable. Once you leave Raytheon, this lack of current world training really sets you back.

Upper Raytheon Management does promote an inclusive work culture and a vision where they bring products to support our armed forces and civilian commercial customers. However, in the last 5-10 years, that management has turned to outsourcing and bottom line thinking which for a vital segment of our nation's security. Good people was let go for inexperienced vendors who tried in vain to fill the gap. We talk about keeping out high technology resources here at home. It is time that management support the good people who work hard and sacrifice for our nation instead of worrying so much about the shareholder. Quality of the products suffers when expertise is not kept on board. Something has to be said about subject matter experts being retained in house which gives you a competitive advantage in our competitive aerospace business.

Other Reviews for Raytheon

Raytheon IIS - Aurora Campus

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Aurora, CO
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Aurora, CO

I have been working at Raytheon full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

The paychecks clear on time.

Cons

Raytheon IIS has consistently gone downhill in my 10+ years with them, particularly since Lynn Dugal has taken the helm of the business unit. Programs are bid to win the contract, not to appropriately execute the contract. This requires the individual contributor to work an exorbant amount of "casual", or unpaid, overtime. A typical work week on the program I support is ~60 hours and weekend work is sometimes announced on Friday afternoon, as it was this last Easter weekend. Recently the profit sharing plan (a 3% bonus each year) was eliminated. When questioned about how she intended to retain quality personell, Ms. Dugal basically stated the "door is over there"... the top performers are taking her up on that.

RTN management (at the program level) is too reactive and far less proactive in planning and executing. Schedule planning is less about what we can realistically execute and more about how we can appease our customer for a few more months. My current program manager (on a major program worth hundreds of millions) has failed in previous similar-sized programs but continues to be allowed to work large scale programs. Fire him, already!

RTN management (at the corporate level) has forgotten who makes the profit for the company. Compensation changes over the last five years have resulted in most employees not benefiting from the success of the company. 401K contributions to RTN stock was limited to 20%, PSP was removed... yet, RTN has had amazing profits for the last 5 years.

Second job after graduating from school, was a good place to gain job experience.

Former Employee - Design Engineer  in  Saint Petersburg, FL
    Former Employee - Design Engineer in Saint Petersburg, FL

I worked at Raytheon full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The pay was decent and was given challenging assignments and projects to work on. Learned many new programs and how the defense contract world works.

Cons

Due to smaller defense budgets, contracts were not coming through - layoffs were a result. The work environment was very poor. Every week more people were laid off.

More generous severance packages.

There are newer employer reviews for Raytheon.

Worked for Raytheon? Contribute to the Community!