Raytheon

It's an okay place

Current Employee - Manager in Alexandria, VA
Current Employee - Manager in Alexandria, VA

I have been working at Raytheon

Pros

There is a great work/life balance and a lot of training opportunities for all employees. The salaries are very competitive and the benefits are great. Week off between Christmas and New Years is a huge plus. Match with the 401K is very competitive as well.

Cons

It is not a streamlined organization so it can be very confusing to find opportunities for growth and networking. Only 15 days PTO which is well below many of our competitors. Raises are just okay, so best to negotiate well coming in the door. They will pay for the good folks. They could use better career pathing or communication of career pathing as well.

Reach out to your employees more - be more accessible. Communicate more.

1598 Other Employee Reviews for Raytheon (View Most Recent)

Your job satisfaction depends on the program you're on

Current Employee - Senior Systems Engineer in El Segundo, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Systems Engineer in El Segundo, CA

I have been working at Raytheon

Pros

The job is pretty laid back at times and the people are really good to work with. Legacy programs still carry some Hughes Aircraft tradition, so thats a plus

Cons

Don't expect big raises, or even those that meet inflation. You better love your job, because you are not going to be compensated well for it.

Recognize and compensate the younger engineers or they will just learn and leave for one of the big 3

RMS = Best Place to Work in Tucson [but: beware of settling for too low of a starting salary]

Former Employee - Senior Multi-Disciplined Engineer in Tucson, AZ
    Former Employee - Senior Multi-Disciplined Engineer in Tucson, AZ

I worked at Raytheon

Pros

RMS appreciates hardworking individuals, and recognizes high-value contributors with rapid responsibility growth and promotions. The chief engineers I had the privilege of working with there were exceedingly competent in both technical aspects of their programs and the politics of funding. On a personal level, it is very fulfilling to contribute to the safety of our nation's warfighters.

Cons

The "matrix organization" of RMS (program vs department) results in a behemoth monster where the left hand has no idea what the right hand is doing. This results in a yearly promotion system where you are ranked by people who barely know what you look like against peers that work on different programs, in different buildings, on the other side of town. So, if you are hired by a misogynist who thinks you are a "risk" then you should be prepared for a lifetime of making significantly less money than your peers, even if your program thinks you are an amazing engineer.

From my position of Sr Multi-Disciplined engineer, I thought the management was doing a fine job.

There are newer employer reviews for Raytheon