Raytheon

There are newer employer reviews for Raytheon

Sr. Software Engineer

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer I in Garland, TX
Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer I in Garland, TX

I worked at Raytheon full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good people, really care about the customer not the typical blood sucking defense contractor, decent process, great technology,awesome work-life balance policies,

Cons

bonus are subpar compared with similar companies, compensation is not great, promotions are slow in the intermediate grades E3+

Promotion from E3 to E4 will take years because they are mostly based on seniority rather than skills
The E4 grade is the most an average engineer can aspire for.
E5+ are really sharp engineers but getting past the E4 slow process will discourage most talented engineers.

Promote best and brightness within a reasonable time frame before they leave. Reduce overhead so you can afford competitive engineering salaries...

1598 Other Employee Reviews for Raytheon (View Most Recent)

Headed in wrong direction

Former Employee - Senior Engineering Manager
    Former Employee - Senior Engineering Manager

I worked at Raytheon full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

The paycheck never bounced. I was never shot at. It is hard to find 20 words positive for this company.
    Some smart people work there. Was there almost 8 years, and it got worse every year.
    If you are someone just out of college, and have a choice, definitely avoid this one.

Cons

Company is so focused on process and schedule that there literally is no "fun". No enjoyment of an engineering career. Way too many people solely focused on earned value metrics. Not enough actual workers. So what does mangement do? They lay off workers (engineers).
    Also, making "diversity" such an important goal that you are actually expected to "celebrate" the lifesyle of people you don't agree with. This does not belong at work. This has nothing to do with products, it is just a feel good thing that gives some parasitic manager(s) a paycheck for dubious rewards. Just require that at work you have to respect everyone. Problem solved.

Retire. Soon.

No quality control: operation has few checks and balances.

Former Contractor - Communications Analyst in Tucson, AZ
    Former Contractor - Communications Analyst in Tucson, AZ

I worked at Raytheon as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

Raytheon has the latest, greatest computers, software, screens, and even desk chairs.
    ATO

Cons

I worked in the publications department that produced newsletters, web sites and brochures for Raytheon products. I was appalled to find out that they were hiring anyone from the military who had a Secret clearance or fresh college graduates, most of whom could barely distinguish an adverb from an adjective.
    These folks were paid the same low wages as people with two journalism degrees and 20 years in the newspaper business. I also was shocked to discover that management imposed no monetary caps on requests from another Raytheon groups. That meant different divisions should run up huge "bills" with no accountability. Basically, I got fed up with our tax dollars being wasted on birthday banners, posters, and gold-leaf books like the one produced for a NATO party.

Pay employees according to experience and ability.

There are newer employer reviews for Raytheon