There are newer employer reviews for Raytheon

Stable place to work

Current Employee - Systems Engineer I in Tucson, AZ
Current Employee - Systems Engineer I in Tucson, AZ

I have been working at Raytheon

Pros

Overall it was a stable employment, good benefits, interesting work, ability to work on different projects. Mostly smart engineers, decent management

Cons

The biggest con I have is with how promotions are given. When I was up for a promotion from E1-->E2 I was told "you are already doing the work of an E2, and we are going to start giving you E3 work, but you don't make enough money to be promoted from E1 to E2."

I received max. performance metrics in every category and exceeded all performance goals but "didn't make enough money" to be bumped up. It seems that promotions were strictly based on time-served and not performance.

Make promotions merit based, not solely based on seniority. Also give Raytheon 6-sigma a break...We were forced to make up projects to be "certified" since it was a metric passed down...

reviews filtered by

With Good Reasons - Disgruntled Employee

Former Employee - IT Project Manager in Aurora, CO
    Former Employee - IT Project Manager in Aurora, CO

I worked at Raytheon

Pros

- The benefits are terrific
    - Corporate management is with it, and is trying to modernize (socially, procedurally) the company (see cons)

Cons

- Middle management is entrenched in the 1950's (processes, values, expectations) and is stifling change
    - "Be creative" communications that start positive at the top corporate levels are changed to "obey" instructions by the time they percolate down through management layers

Undertake a large effort to evaluate managers fit with the stated Raytheon values (not the practiced values) - clear house of the ones that don't share the company values

Take The Good With The Bad

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer II in Fullerton, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer II in Fullerton, CA

I have been working at Raytheon

Pros

Flexible time off. Not much penalty for doing a mediocre job. (see corresponding comment below) There is not much change either good or bad. The job that you need to do to get a good review is pretty well defined. The people are normal, descent people.

Cons

Not much reward for doing a great job. (see corresponding comment above) I find it very boring. It seems to be impossible to get a promotion unless you are a member of the chosen few. It's not based on your actual performance, more on how much people like you. It just kind of stays the same and as long as nothing rocks the boat. Alot of teh technology is pretty outdated and will make you less valuable in the marketplace.

I think management is getting what they want so there is no motivation for them to change.

There are newer employer reviews for Raytheon