Raytheon
3.3 of 5 1,258 reviews
www.raytheon.com Waltham, MA 5000+ Employees

It's a stable job that can provide good technical challenges

Software Engineer I (Current Employee)
El Segundo, CA

I have been working at Raytheon

ProsFantastic work vs. life balance
One week paid vacation between Christmas and New Years. In general PTO accrues very fast.
Great location if you want to live near the beach
Flex-time is always a plus
Overtime is minimal, if not non-existent

ConsUnderpaid
Talent level for skill fields is weak
Drab work environment
Heavy emphasis on "punch-in, punch-out" discourages employee collaboration and mingling
Competition amongst different business groups working on similar projects
Very corporate

Advice to Senior ManagementThough the defense sector does provide for safe harbor during a bad economy like this one, there are some fundamental problems at Raytheon that should be addressed that would make it a significantly better place to work.

Recently we had to complete a company-wide initiative on diversity training. Tabling the argument of whether you can "train people to be tolerant," the training module had, apparently, been in development for a few months, and everyone in the company was required to take it. It ended up being a 45 minute presentation that, as you could guess, provided no real impact. These resources could have been spent more wisely.

Employee collaboration is not encouraged, and that is reinforced by the classic cubes with high walls / no windows, and the strict time sheet management used to bill hours to various projects. Employee lunches, tech talks, and the like should be encouraged and, if necessary, be chalked up as "billable overhead time." The private sector recognizes the benefit of this (Google, Microsoft, etc.), why can't Raytheon?

The philosophy behind hiring is "this person is fairly smart, we can teach them how to code." Having people learning how to code on the job, on a million-line piece of legacy system code is a recipe for disaster. Maybe this is all Raytheon can get with what they're offering, but if that's the case, they should offer more, or re-do their recruiting process to get bright AND skilled individuals in.

Software Engineer right out of College.

Software Engineer II (Current Employee)
Marlborough, MA

I have been working at Raytheon

Pros: - benefits - pay is decent (including bonus) - work and life balance is great… Cons: - The location is horrible, making for a terrible commute (unless you live right in Marlborough) - Promotions are generally given… Advice to Senior Management: - better communication to employees - if you implement a CMMI process, follow it. Don't just use the "CMMI" rating as a tool… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend More

Stable place to work

Systems Engineer I (Current Employee)
Tucson, AZ

I have been working at Raytheon

Pros: Overall it was a stable employment, good benefits, interesting work, ability… Cons: The biggest con I have is with how promotions are given. When I was up for a promotion from E1-->E2 I was told "you… Advice to Senior Management: Make promotions merit based, not solely based on seniority. Also give Raytheon 6-sigma a break...We… Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend More

There are newer reviews on Raytheon.

Worked for Raytheon? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Raytheon reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Raytheon CEO William H. Swanson. All reviews posted anonymously by Raytheon employees.