There are newer employer reviews for Raytheon

Probably the best place to work in Tucson

Former Employee - Engineer in Tucson, AZ
Former Employee - Engineer in Tucson, AZ

I worked at Raytheon

Pros

-NOTE: This review is for Raytheon Missile Systems in Tucson, AZ
-Decent pay (for Tucson)
-Opportunities for continued education through the U of A or any graduate school that has distance learning program. Other on-site educational programs.
-Great work-life balance. 9/80 work week = 26 Off Friday's per year. Federal holidays on Monday's occasionally create 4 day weekends without any PTO. Paid vacation from Christmas through New Years.

Cons

-Salary compression
-Bureaucracy. Processes and procedures get in the way of progress.
-Politics - sometimes even within the Engineering department. Occasional conflicts between program and functional management.
-Not a lot of diversity in work content. There are specialists for every technical discipline and managers are sometimes territorial.
-Experience and ability isn't always the top consideration for new hires.

Advice to Management

Work harder to retain top performers and young engineers.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status
  1. Excellent growth opportunity

Current Employee - Manager I Supply Chain in Tucson, AZ
    Current Employee - Manager I Supply Chain in Tucson, AZ

I have been working at Raytheon

Pros

I'm in supply chain at Raytheon and in supply chain the average age of an employee is in the low 50s. As these people retire, my opportunities have increased. I managed to find a good mentor who genuinely cares as she helps on my career path.

Cons

At RMS there are 12k people in Tucson. It can be easy to get lost in the shuffle. Some managers, particularly front line, don't give feedback or they do a lousy job. If you work on the "wrong" program you can feel isolated or even unwanted at times. Recent salaried workforce layoffs in Tucson put some on edge.

Advice to Management

You have to find a way to get your front line leaders to give feedback. If FLLs are supposed to guide you on your career then they need better skills.

Stay away if you're not technical.

Former Employee - Supply Chain - SAS in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Supply Chain - SAS in Dallas, TX

I worked at Raytheon

Pros

They have flexible hours. They have multiple job openings and you can transfer between divisions.

Cons

1. Strictly referring to the SAS division in a non-technical position, I saw little room for growth and advancement.
    2. They want employees to be overqualifed before they are considered for new positions.
    3. The cultural environement was unfriendly with a serious lack of respect for employees.
    4. They will make promises to new hires and have no issues breaking these promises once the employee starts working.
    5. The poor management style and unfairness of the leadership team promoted a lack of trust among employees.

Advice to Management

The senior managment team needs to obtain input from employees on ways to improve the overall environment. They need to ensure that all employees are treated fairly, which includes balancing the discrepancy in salaries for the same type of work.

I would also suggest some type of six sigma project to understand why their is a higher employee turnover rate within some organizations.