There are newer employer reviews for Raytheon

Probably the best place to work in Tucson

Former Employee - Engineer in Tucson, AZ
Former Employee - Engineer in Tucson, AZ

I worked at Raytheon

Pros

-NOTE: This review is for Raytheon Missile Systems in Tucson, AZ
-Decent pay (for Tucson)
-Opportunities for continued education through the U of A or any graduate school that has distance learning program. Other on-site educational programs.
-Great work-life balance. 9/80 work week = 26 Off Friday's per year. Federal holidays on Monday's occasionally create 4 day weekends without any PTO. Paid vacation from Christmas through New Years.

Cons

-Salary compression
-Bureaucracy. Processes and procedures get in the way of progress.
-Politics - sometimes even within the Engineering department. Occasional conflicts between program and functional management.
-Not a lot of diversity in work content. There are specialists for every technical discipline and managers are sometimes territorial.
-Experience and ability isn't always the top consideration for new hires.

Advice to Management

Work harder to retain top performers and young engineers.

reviews filtered by
  1. 6

Current Employee - Senior Systems Engineer I in Woburn, MA
    Current Employee - Senior Systems Engineer I in Woburn, MA

I have been working at Raytheon

Pros

Flexible work schedule and good work life balance. Great people to work with. Solid company and benefits. Job security and some room for progress Although like most big companies you can get lost in the system if you dont make the necessary effort to get visibility.

Cons

Can get lost in the system. Can get lost in the system. Can get lost in the system. Can get lost in the system. Can get lost in the system. Can get lost in the system. Can get lost in the system. Can get lost in the system.

Advice to Management

More to come laterMore to come laterMore to come laterMore to come laterMore to come laterMore to come laterMore to come laterMore to come laterMore to come later

2. Excellent growth opportunity

Current Employee - Manager I Supply Chain in Tucson, AZ
    Current Employee - Manager I Supply Chain in Tucson, AZ

I have been working at Raytheon

Pros

I'm in supply chain at Raytheon and in supply chain the average age of an employee is in the low 50s. As these people retire, my opportunities have increased. I managed to find a good mentor who genuinely cares as she helps on my career path.

Cons

At RMS there are 12k people in Tucson. It can be easy to get lost in the shuffle. Some managers, particularly front line, don't give feedback or they do a lousy job. If you work on the "wrong" program you can feel isolated or even unwanted at times. Recent salaried workforce layoffs in Tucson put some on edge.

Advice to Management

You have to find a way to get your front line leaders to give feedback. If FLLs are supposed to guide you on your career then they need better skills.