Raytheon

www.raytheon.com
Employer Engaged
There are newer employer reviews for Raytheon

Managed several System Engineering requirements accounts as Cost Account Manager (CAM).

Former Employee - Principal Systems Engineer in Fullerton, CA
Former Employee - Principal Systems Engineer in Fullerton, CA

I worked at Raytheon

Pros

The best reason for working at Raytheon is the telecommuting, salary, benefits.

Cons

On June 2010 Raytheon at Fullerton had a work force reduction.

Lack of feedback to employee: When a section Manager receive negative comments about an employee, the section manager should not wait until the end of the IPD meeting to tell the employee the negative feedback, when the comments occur 4 to 6 month ago.

1603 Other Employee Reviews for Raytheon (View Most Recent)

Second review.. After 3 years at Raytheon.

Current Employee - Software Engineer II in Saint Petersburg, FL
    Current Employee - Software Engineer II in Saint Petersburg, FL

I have been working at Raytheon

Pros

* 9/80 Work Schedule
    * Flexible work schedule
    * Project crunch times usually followed by a week or two of slow-down
    * Friendly employees
    * Management does an excellent job with creating a fun work-site
    * Most senior management is very easy to approach and seem very human
    * Seniority isn't something that is constantly rubbed in your face

Cons

* Moving from program to program can be difficult. The ramp up time for programs is atrocious. You can literally spend a month trying to become fairly competent and useful on a program. The programs really need to try to put together a resource package (e.g a wiki) for new transfers.
    * Work load is feast-or-famine. At times you will be completely slammed and asked to work overtime and then the following week you'll be twiddling your thumbs while your lead tries to find something for you to do. Of course you then get a guilt trip for not being productive.
    * Some programs have a severe resource bottleneck that can lead into situations where you have to work night shifts. This is a bit ridiculous since salaried employees do not get a shift differential and there is absolutely no acknowledgement or appreciation when an employee has to work the 6:00pm-2:00am shift. I don't see how this can be expected.
    * "Just get it done" mentality. Leads and managers who are constantly worrying about program performance tend to underbid the difficulty of tasks then are quick to throw engineers under the bus when they are unable to finish a task on budget. (e.g they tell their managers that they tried to meet budget then blame the engineers when the budget is blown or the schedule is slipped).

The communication and relationship gap between managers and do-ers(engineers) becomes more obvious the longer I work for Raytheon. It really is becoming an "us vs them" situation.
    Expectations for time allowances for each task are never clearly stated and often times the managers assign an arbitrary time allowance for a given task. Engineers are happy to work on a problem but there is a constant pressure to get it done under a certain # of hours.
    Problem is that around 60% of the time spent on a task is wasted on setting up your environment or reproducing an issue.
    This could be reduced but management does not want to spend the money to streamline our development process.
    The result? A massive loss of efficiency and a lot of finger pointing when our equipment doesn't work properly.

Clique-y, no teamwork, cheap salaries

Former Employee - Systems Integration Specialist II in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Systems Integration Specialist II in Denver, CO

I worked at Raytheon

Pros

It's a job. Great benefits (at the time), the salary is one of the lowest that I have had.

They are *supposed* to help with higher eduation, but they figured out an excuse not to help me. I eventually graduated from my program Summa Cum Laude, with another company helping me. I left Raytheon because they didn't. Your loss, Raytheon.

Cons

Raytheon management kept taking away automated remote tools that helped to do the work. They have no idea what Client Relationship Management (CRM) is, nor do they have any idea how to implement client services using one of the many frameworks available today (ISO 9001, ITIL, CMMI, CobIT). I hear that they are losing contracts these days.

Get a clue.