There are newer employer reviews for Raytheon

Everything depends on your immediate management

Former Employee - Mechanical Engineer II in El Segundo, CA
Former Employee - Mechanical Engineer II in El Segundo, CA

I worked at Raytheon

Pros

-Great work schedule
-Great benefits
-Good pay
-Great locations to choose from

Cons

There was no congruency across the organization. Had a fantastic experience in Tucson and had great reviews. Transferred to El Segundo for a new position and they had no work and management was not flexible to let you utilize other skills you have--subsequently I received poor ratings as I was new and had no work. As a Mechanical Engineer I had done a lot of software and electrical work (was a former manufacturing electrician and IT tech) and my department actually took the work away from me and made me sit on overhead.

People at the California site don't work together. Due to the amount of layoffs over the past 10 years people have become very paranoid and will throw you under the bus even if you are performing. Everyone there is just scared for their job. Its a sad situation really.

Its a shame because I really enjoyed the industry, but when there is no work for your group...get out. I made the mistake of waiting it out and I was laid off.

Advice to Management

Give feedback. If someone isn't performing up to par, tell them what you expect. There are many young engineers in the organization that feel that if they were laid off they have no skill set or experience, and they are right. Allow for more mentoring, especially if people are charging to overhead. Good luck.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

Raytheon not a good place for technical people or hard workers.

Current Employee - Senior Software II in Largo, FL
    Current Employee - Senior Software II in Largo, FL

I have been working at Raytheon

Pros

flexible work schedule
    Ability to switch projects at a moments notice, when the business is there.

Cons

20 managers to every 1 worker.

Non value added people steal ideas all the time to pass as their own.

It takes 10 times the budget to do a task because you have to feed management and there processes / gates that saturates budgets.

Technical work or doing the right thing is never a priority. The only thing that is emphasized is management schedules, and forecasts.

It’s amazing that this company stays competitive with all of the overhead and non value added people that are shoved on to programs to increase profit.

Advice to Management

Restructure to become more lean at the top and middle, and penetrate markets that are outside of the Raytheon comfort zone. Don't be afraid to take on the technical sustainment work. That's what keeps the customer married to the company over the long term, and promotes follow on business.

Major Salary and Benefits Improvements needed for Fullerton, CA location

Current Employee - Systems Engineer II in Fullerton, CA
    Current Employee - Systems Engineer II in Fullerton, CA

I have been working at Raytheon

Pros

-Flexible in taking PTO whenever you like
    -There are a lot of young engineers to form a nice social group
    -Close to home

Cons

-Ladder and ranking system to determine promotions and merit raises. Promotions and merit raises are determined in the previous year (ex: For 2010 year, ranking is determined Nov/Dec 2010) before performance reviews/summaries are written and conducted during (ex: For 2010, Feb 2011) for the previous year. Instead of making everyone's salaries the same, award the top performing employees better raises.
    -Promotions seem to be based on years of service and seniority as opposed to rewarding those that worked hard that year.
    -Raises kick in during May of the following year. This is way too late. Performance discussions need to be held earlier in the year and raises applied earlier in the year. Should not be later than February or March at the lastest in my opinion.
    -Expand educational assistance to allow engineers to obtain MBA degrees. They are the only top 4 aerospace defense contractor to restrict employees to obtain MBA degrees.
    -Poor transition to new programs when the current program is phasing out. I was on overhead for about a month before I was contacted to work on a new program. Section managers need to take more responsibility in finding new jobs in other programs and placing proper talent sooner.
    -No sick days. What company doesn't have sick days nowadays. It is unfortunate that people have to take PTO when they are sick or come in the office sick.

Advice to Management

-Determine and improve a new method for evaluating promotions and merit raises.
    -Expand educational assistance for MBA degrees.
    -Advise section managers to do a better job of looking after their employees and build the networking bridge for engineers to transition to other projects.
    -Add sick days on top of the vacation allotted to account for some days when people are under the weather and not forced to use PTO.
    -Need to look into holding performance discussions way earlier in the year so that raises kick in by February or March.