There are newer employer reviews for Raytheon

Everything depends on your immediate management

Former Employee - Mechanical Engineer II in El Segundo, CA
Former Employee - Mechanical Engineer II in El Segundo, CA

I worked at Raytheon

Pros

-Great work schedule
-Great benefits
-Good pay
-Great locations to choose from

Cons

There was no congruency across the organization. Had a fantastic experience in Tucson and had great reviews. Transferred to El Segundo for a new position and they had no work and management was not flexible to let you utilize other skills you have--subsequently I received poor ratings as I was new and had no work. As a Mechanical Engineer I had done a lot of software and electrical work (was a former manufacturing electrician and IT tech) and my department actually took the work away from me and made me sit on overhead.

People at the California site don't work together. Due to the amount of layoffs over the past 10 years people have become very paranoid and will throw you under the bus even if you are performing. Everyone there is just scared for their job. Its a sad situation really.

Its a shame because I really enjoyed the industry, but when there is no work for your group...get out. I made the mistake of waiting it out and I was laid off.

Advice to Management

Give feedback. If someone isn't performing up to par, tell them what you expect. There are many young engineers in the organization that feel that if they were laid off they have no skill set or experience, and they are right. Allow for more mentoring, especially if people are charging to overhead. Good luck.

reviews filtered by
  1. Work and Life balance is encouraged but not supported by management ... especially in Finance

Former Employee - Financial Analyst II in McKinney, TX
    Former Employee - Financial Analyst II in McKinney, TX

I worked at Raytheon

Pros

Overall, the company has decent health benefits and opportunities for growth. McKinney site has onsite medical facility, cafeteria and gym.

Cons

Salaries are not competitive in the industry and there's no work/life balance. Too many middle level managers and too few workers.

Advice to Management

Work/life balance should be encouraged AND SUPPORTED.

Raytheon not a good place for technical people or hard workers.

Current Employee - Senior Software II in Largo, FL
    Current Employee - Senior Software II in Largo, FL

I have been working at Raytheon

Pros

flexible work schedule
    Ability to switch projects at a moments notice, when the business is there.

Cons

20 managers to every 1 worker.

Non value added people steal ideas all the time to pass as their own.

It takes 10 times the budget to do a task because you have to feed management and there processes / gates that saturates budgets.

Technical work or doing the right thing is never a priority. The only thing that is emphasized is management schedules, and forecasts.

It’s amazing that this company stays competitive with all of the overhead and non value added people that are shoved on to programs to increase profit.

Advice to Management

Restructure to become more lean at the top and middle, and penetrate markets that are outside of the Raytheon comfort zone. Don't be afraid to take on the technical sustainment work. That's what keeps the customer married to the company over the long term, and promotes follow on business.

There are newer employer reviews for Raytheon