Raytheon is an excellent place to work and learn for student interns.

Current Employee - Intern  in  Burlington, MA
Current Employee - Intern in Burlington, MA

I have been working at Raytheon

Pros

I would recommend doing an internship with Raytheon over the summer because you will get real work to do, you will not just file papers and make copies. Also, Raytheon offers an excellent intern program where you are exposed to all of the various business functions and what they do. Very good for students!

Cons

As far I can see, I did not have any bad experiences at my summer internship. All of the employees were very nice to me and always willing to help me. I would say the biggest con for me is just the commute and the traffic on the way to work.

If I were to give advice to management I would say to make sure they include their summer interns more in work that is going on. It is an excellent way for the student interns to get exposed to the company and believe that they work that they are doing is meaningful.

Other Reviews for Raytheon

Great!

Former Employee - PC/Client Server Analyst  in  Farmington, NM
    Former Employee - PC/Client Server Analyst in Farmington, NM

I worked at Raytheon

Pros

Great benefits. flexible work schedule.

Cons

poor pay for hourly employees

need to get to the core of the issues you face

Good place to work for aerospace and defense industry

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer  in  Fort Wayne, IN
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Fort Wayne, IN

I have been working at Raytheon

Pros

Generally, most of the software system programs tend to be command and control oriented with very little web technology related work. Most of my peers were generally very competent with some being extremely sharp and creative. On low intensity programs, the low-level managers were usually very supportive of a balance between work and life. For me, most of my experience has been in using core language features of Java and c++ in application servers. Corporate leadership appears genuinely concerned for the employee quality of life and work and tries to seek a good balance between it and meeting the customer's needs. The company benefits are very good as far as medical, dental, vision, disability, life insurance, and 401k.

Cons

Depending on your background, you could be pigeoned-holed into one type of position, with very little chance of cross functional opportunities, as in going from software test engineer to software engineer and vice versa. Since the company is heavily dependent on defense spending, there is usually a strong correlation between cuts in defense spending and a lack of jobs. On high intensity programs where the delivery schedule is tight, expect to work alot of overtime. Business level and program level management tends to be more focused on meeting bookings and profits with very little time spent interacting with the employees.

Program level leadership should interact more often with employees and demonstrate a genuine interest in improving the overall climate of their program. Personal communications, not surveys, are more likely to reveal what works and what doesn't work.

There are newer employer reviews for Raytheon.

Worked for Raytheon? Contribute to the Community!