Raytheon

www.raytheon.com
  www.raytheon.com
There are newer employer reviews for Raytheon

Raytheon is an excellent place to work and learn for student interns.

Current Employee - Intern in Burlington, MA
Current Employee - Intern in Burlington, MA

I have been working at Raytheon

Pros

I would recommend doing an internship with Raytheon over the summer because you will get real work to do, you will not just file papers and make copies. Also, Raytheon offers an excellent intern program where you are exposed to all of the various business functions and what they do. Very good for students!

Cons

As far I can see, I did not have any bad experiences at my summer internship. All of the employees were very nice to me and always willing to help me. I would say the biggest con for me is just the commute and the traffic on the way to work.

If I were to give advice to management I would say to make sure they include their summer interns more in work that is going on. It is an excellent way for the student interns to get exposed to the company and believe that they work that they are doing is meaningful.

1545 Other Employee Reviews for Raytheon (View Most Recent)

Good place to work for aerospace and defense industry

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Fort Wayne, IN
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Fort Wayne, IN

I have been working at Raytheon

Pros

Generally, most of the software system programs tend to be command and control oriented with very little web technology related work. Most of my peers were generally very competent with some being extremely sharp and creative. On low intensity programs, the low-level managers were usually very supportive of a balance between work and life. For me, most of my experience has been in using core language features of Java and c++ in application servers. Corporate leadership appears genuinely concerned for the employee quality of life and work and tries to seek a good balance between it and meeting the customer's needs. The company benefits are very good as far as medical, dental, vision, disability, life insurance, and 401k.

Cons

Depending on your background, you could be pigeoned-holed into one type of position, with very little chance of cross functional opportunities, as in going from software test engineer to software engineer and vice versa. Since the company is heavily dependent on defense spending, there is usually a strong correlation between cuts in defense spending and a lack of jobs. On high intensity programs where the delivery schedule is tight, expect to work alot of overtime. Business level and program level management tends to be more focused on meeting bookings and profits with very little time spent interacting with the employees.

Program level leadership should interact more often with employees and demonstrate a genuine interest in improving the overall climate of their program. Personal communications, not surveys, are more likely to reveal what works and what doesn't work.

Good place, especially for early career.

Current Employee - Electrical Engineer II in Tucson, AZ
    Current Employee - Electrical Engineer II in Tucson, AZ

I have been working at Raytheon

Pros

-9/80 Schedule
    -Flexible work hours/ timing
    -Low cost of living in Tucson
    -Annual pay increase has been 2-5% in last couple years

Cons

----- Assigned work is a gamble.
        Being successful here is 50% talent, and 50% luck (of getting good work assigned for you to do)

Some people get a good, high profile task on a well organized and run program, with plenty of funding... These people get recognition, praise, awards, cash bonuses, high ratings during annual review, which leads to their promotions into higher salary grades.

Some people, however, get stuck on an underfunded, disorganized program which is badly managed with unrealistic expectations. Obviously, such a program does not produce good results (regardless of the engineer's skills or abilities) and it looks bad on the engineer part. This translates to no awards, no praise, bad annual reviews, and this eventually leads to being passed up for promotions.

(I've been on both sides of this fence, and have seen same happen to co-workers and friends)

A person can work one year on a crappy program, and stall his career. The next year they can do the exact same quality of work on a good program, and get a huge boost to their career. The problem is that tasks are handed out to people by management, and its usually just a case of "right place at the right time".... if you are getting off a program and there is another program that needs a person...you'll be that person. To some degree, managers have control over who gets assigned to what program, but for the most part, they just fill openings with people as they become available, so I can't really blame management for this.

------ Politics
        There are some politics here. Managers and supervisors have an "in-crowd" of people, who seem to get more "perks" these can range from getting the first chance to sign up for a limited capacity of an interesting course/training (to help further their career), to others being asked to go to industry and trade conferences, and sometimes, getting first pick at some real interesting new task becoming available.

------ Middle and Upper Management
        They seem to be a group of friends who just rotate around in same jobs, with different titles every time there is a re-org. These people all have a history of working together a long time ago at some same company, and even their families are friends with each other...its likely that if you are not a part of this circle, it would be hard to get in.

----- Atmosphere and People
        Being a defense contractor, you can expect most of the people here to be pretty politically conservative. If you are not...it may be wise to keep your views to yourself. Even though everyone is 'educated' there are even a few 'rednecks' who are just ignorant and borderline racist.

Advice to management....who cares...
    People who have interesting tasks and working in a well functioning program don't really care what the management does....their career is growing at a steady rate, keeping them happy and that's really what matters in the end.

There are newer employer reviews for Raytheon