There are newer employer reviews for Raytheon

Stable, opportunity to build cool stuff, travel, work with military customers. Slow Promotions.

Current Employee - Principal Software Engineer  in  McKinney, TX
Current Employee - Principal Software Engineer in McKinney, TX

I have been working at Raytheon

Pros

Raytheon builds lots of cool defense stuff, has flexible work hours, decent pay and benefits, and doesn't have big layoffs, but also hires slowly

Cons

Top heavy with older workers, makes moving up VERY slow, Raytheon uses a "Time in Grade" model, no matter how awesome you are, if you don't have enough time in grade, you won't get promoted. I am rare person in my 30's, few mid career people, younger workers leave, older workers stay on forever.

At some pay level you get big bonuses, but they make the actual policy obscure so you don't really know how much the big shots make, rumor is at level 7 the company pays for you to have a financial advisor.

Constantly beat over the head with stupid policy and special interest training like "Diversity in the Workplace", and misc. Ethics and IT security training. After working there for 10 years, I've had to retake the exact same training every year, it provides no value. Functional management only cares about time cards and training, not job performance, so long as you are not doing so bad someone is complaining about you.

Reduce number of people in "process" jobs, IRAD projects take too much convincing of management, innovation is hard to pre plan, there needs to be something like IRAD, that employees don't need to pre-sell to management. Look at Google's "20% time" policy.

1447 Other Employee Reviews for Raytheon (View Most Recent)

Raytheon is an excellent place to work and learn for student interns.

Current Employee - Intern  in  Burlington, MA
    Current Employee - Intern in Burlington, MA

I have been working at Raytheon

Pros

I would recommend doing an internship with Raytheon over the summer because you will get real work to do, you will not just file papers and make copies. Also, Raytheon offers an excellent intern program where you are exposed to all of the various business functions and what they do. Very good for students!

Cons

As far I can see, I did not have any bad experiences at my summer internship. All of the employees were very nice to me and always willing to help me. I would say the biggest con for me is just the commute and the traffic on the way to work.

If I were to give advice to management I would say to make sure they include their summer interns more in work that is going on. It is an excellent way for the student interns to get exposed to the company and believe that they work that they are doing is meaningful.

Great!

Former Employee - PC/Client Server Analyst  in  Farmington, NM
    Former Employee - PC/Client Server Analyst in Farmington, NM

I worked at Raytheon

Pros

Great benefits. flexible work schedule.

Cons

poor pay for hourly employees

need to get to the core of the issues you face

There are newer employer reviews for Raytheon

Worked for Raytheon? Contribute to the Community!