Wonderful

Former Employee - Quality Engineer in El Segundo, CA
Former Employee - Quality Engineer in El Segundo, CA

I worked at Raytheon

Pros

Best place to work; good management.

Cons

Get rid of dead weight employees.

Advice to Management

Continue to recognize hard workers.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

Wonderful career until I got laid off

Former Employee - Manager III, Budget Analyst in McKinney, TX
    Former Employee - Manager III, Budget Analyst in McKinney, TX

I worked at Raytheon

Pros

Worklife balance, challenging work, good equipment to work on

Cons

VP of Information Solutions wants to hire only nodding heads, or people from her previous employment

Advice to Management

Get rid of VPs who don't hire qualified people from within Raytheon

Stable, opportunity to build cool stuff, travel, work with military customers. Slow Promotions.

Current Employee - Principal Software Engineer in McKinney, TX
    Current Employee - Principal Software Engineer in McKinney, TX

I have been working at Raytheon

Pros

Raytheon builds lots of cool defense stuff, has flexible work hours, decent pay and benefits, and doesn't have big layoffs, but also hires slowly

Cons

Top heavy with older workers, makes moving up VERY slow, Raytheon uses a "Time in Grade" model, no matter how awesome you are, if you don't have enough time in grade, you won't get promoted. I am rare person in my 30's, few mid career people, younger workers leave, older workers stay on forever. At some pay level you get big bonuses, but they make the actual policy obscure so you don't really know how much the big shots make, rumor is at level 7 the company pays for you to have a financial advisor. Constantly beat over the head with stupid policy and special interest training like "Diversity in the Workplace", and misc. Ethics and IT security training. After working there for 10 years, I've had to retake the exact same training every year, it provides no value. Functional management only cares about time cards and training, not job performance, so long as you are not doing so bad someone is complaining about you.

Advice to Management

Reduce number of people in "process" jobs, IRAD projects take too much convincing of management, innovation is hard to pre plan, there needs to be something like IRAD, that employees don't need to pre-sell to management. Look at Google's "20% time" policy.