There are newer employer reviews for ReachLocal

Products work well, pay is terrible and no management support

Current Employee - Interactive Media Consultant in Lake Success, NY
Current Employee - Interactive Media Consultant in Lake Success, NY

I have been working at ReachLocal

Pros

Products work really well and the company tries to introduce improvements to the product line regulalry. They also offer a decent support system for sales efforts

Cons

Management does not encourage performance in any positive way unless you are the top performer. The envirenment is negative. The pay is terrible and the salary goes backwards after the first year. It is basically a telemarketing job

Advice to Management

Listen to the employees, create an encouraging envirenment for people to WANT to come to work. Don't slave sales people to their desks day in and day out, let them get out in the field and prospect

reviews filtered by
  1. Numerous Opportunities

Current Employee - Marketing Director in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Marketing Director in Dallas, TX

I have been working at ReachLocal

Pros

Growth - the company is in hyper-growth mode which leads to many opportunities
    Opportunity
    People
    Culture
    Ideas

Cons

Pay someone lower than competitive set
    Growth has problems - scale, training, etc.

If you work hard and put in the time...

Current Employee - Internet Marketing Consultant in Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - Internet Marketing Consultant in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at ReachLocal

Pros

You can make a great living if you planning on putting your all into your craft. As with any sales position it takes a lot of time and dedication to get to the top levels. The first year is extremely tough, as you build from the ground up, but as you get through it will make you a better sales person. I've been with ReachLocal for over 4 years and it's been a great place to build a living for myself and my family because they give you the tools to be successful, it's up to you how to use those tools and apply them to your trade.

The product itself is great. All of my clients have a need that we fulfill. As long as you set the right budgets, manage expectations and service the client post sale, everyone can be very successful and have lots of happy clients.

ReachLocal's environment is fun to be a part of. As with any job the day to day can bog you down but knowing that we are part of a fast moving international company in a growth industry is fun. The big picture of our company keeps me motivated to making sure that I am doing my part.

Work life balance is great, after your first year. Once you make it through your first year you can start to balance things. If you are thinking of coming onboard understand it takes a dedication not only from you but your family, if you have one. I was lucky in that I was single when i started but now that I am married with a child, I'm afforded the ability to enjoy my family life. But I stress that this is an earned privilege.

Cons

One of the downsides that I'm concerned with is the lack of effort and motivation some of the sales reps have had. I've seen a lot of people come and go and 9 out of 10 times the reason that they don't make it is that they don't do enough in the first year on a day to day basis.

Upward mobility is a challenge since most of the offices are sales positions. But if you are successful at bringing on and keeping clients you can make more than most in management positions and support roles. Just remember that this is a sales organization.

Advice to Management

My advice is to just keep being inventive with solutions for our clients. Make sure that we are thinking in terms of how we can help businesses grow.

Also to make sure that our foundation of support help is suited to meet our needs in the field.

There are newer employer reviews for ReachLocal