ReachLocal

www.reachlocal.com
  www.reachlocal.com
There are newer employer reviews for ReachLocal

A Great Company In A Crowded Space.

Current Employee - Client Services Consultant in Portland, OR
Current Employee - Client Services Consultant in Portland, OR

I have been working at ReachLocal full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

ReachLocal's top notch training will help make you an expert in the Internet Marketing space regardless of your starting point. 5 minutes prior to my job interview 5 years ago I Googled PPC and now I know internet marketing and social networking well enough to land just about any job in the space.

Not that I have any plans to look for a different job. ReachLocal is a great place to work and I generally look forward to coming into the office each morning. Beyond all that, I wouldn't want to work anywhere else because going with any other SEM company would just feel like stepping backwards.

ReachLocal has amazing products to sale, sure, but what I like most about the company is that they are always looking towards the future. In a space that moves amazingly fast, it's comforting to know that you work for a company that's committed to staying on the cutting edge.

Cons

Lets be frank, this space is over crowded and very competitive. Being a good sales person with the best product isn't enough. You will Work at this job. That is work with a capital W. If you aren't willing to commit to making the calls, pulling the doors and running the appointments that it takes to be successful then this isn't the job for you. They aren't going to hand you a book of business and they expect performance from their employees.

Stay the course. You keep giving us the goods and we'll keep delivering the deals.

388 Other Employee Reviews for ReachLocal (View Most Recent)

"Smoke & Mirrors" From The Reviews Here To Their Platform - Do Not Care For People

Current Employee - IMC
    Current Employee - IMC

I have been working at ReachLocal full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Cutting Edge Technology Focus
    Nice Website

Cons

Mark Up Too High - Over 50% but they hide it from employees & advertisers even though it is publicly stated. They even hide the reports Google requires them to provide as part of the SMB Premium Partner Agreement.

Old Technology for Google AdWords, outdated proxy and countless restrictions to offer advertisers budget flexibility or customized creatives. Since July all new paid search campaigns put on our platform have bombed and the advertisers are furious at wasted funds.

They just changed compensation plans for sales people, assigned them new roles they felt they were best for them, even if they did not want them and made pay offers that are intended to help the company get some profitability to please the shareholders. Which means they took away the residual commissions. The expectations are unrealistic in new compensation plan for Sales Executive.

They offered senior people, who helped build this company over the past years, a new offer that takes away every account they built with blood, sweat and tears and gave them an offer to start all over at entry level sales with nothing but a promise that the new comp plan will be better. Then once you break your neck closing a deal, then you need to break it again getting it to work right, then they will take it away and give to another rep so you can find another victim to kill yourself over.

Too may times you have to apologize for having no control and get egg on your face. You learn to love to eat crow.

You will learn to love their micro management: Monday Morning Meetings, Field Focus Friday Meetings, Salesforce demands of activity entered (over 300 calls each month), chasing checks, end of month chaos and trickery to make the numbers look better than they really are.

The good reviews here are solicited and insulting. You are a number on a spreadsheet here, not a human. If you care for your clients, you may regret bringing them here.

None. They are hired professional cheerleaders with no integrity, so why waste time writing them a message they will only say came from a salesperson who did not have what it takes to make it. They know what they are doing is wrong but justify it with

Sales-driven corporate engine with no interest in clients or employees.

Current Employee - Sales Team - Non IMC
    Current Employee - Sales Team - Non IMC

I have been working at ReachLocal full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Somewhat decent benefits but no 401K matching. It's a stepping stone into digital marketing. ReachLocal also gave me the ability to handle hostile situations both internally and with customers.

Cons

Where to begin?

First, before you dismiss me as a disgruntled ex-employee, know this: I took time out of my Saturday to give you a clear vision of what working for this company is like. I tried my best to hold on for as long as I could and didn't even make 2 years before I noticed the inherent problems of ReachLocal are not going to get better. Ultimately, for me the grass was much, much greener and I am so relieved to be rid of their godforsaken platform and ticketing system.

First, ReachLocal does not care about its customers, at all. Their services department has gotten progressively worse, I often heard it was because they were inexperienced college kids but that's not the case, they were spread way too thin and the good ones leave before the new ones can get trained. Turnover is a theme we will cover in greater detail later. All new campaigns I built towards the end failed miserably, I wasn't doing anything different, so something must've changed. Their favorite excuse was "increased competition on the search engines due to the latest Google algorithm update knocking out organic placements." Please, I can't. That's a cookie cutter answer, for cookie cutter campaigns.

Whenever a crisis would occur with a campaign there would be no support from management or services, the issue would just be passed over to the (often times inexperienced) IMC to deal with and the client would churn. This peeved me the most because we received absolutely no support and couldn't control anything in the sales offices. ReachLocal has also made this clear in its most recent compensation plan, where growth of existing clients is not as valued as new clients, basically they've made their churn and burn strategy apparent in their own pay structure.

ReachLocal also doesn't care very much about its employees. Turnover is very high in every local office. The hiring managers often bring on brilliant sales people who are extremely good closers. Unfortunately, they are often times totally inexperienced with digital marketing, this isn't an issue until its time for these people to have to start actually managing these campaigns. I personally believe it is way too difficult for the sales force to manage these clients and also meet their steep sales goals. I hear the company is going to be changing this very soon, but I wouldn't want to be the guinea pig for their next compensation and restructuring scheme: ReachLocal changes direction more than a blind rhino in a hedge maze.

I did leave behind a lot of really smart, good people behind at this company. Many of them were borderline miserable, I wish them the best and hope they seek happiness elsewhere.

I don't think management even reads these reviews. Speaking of management, when your CEO and President/Founder resign on Tuesdays within a couple months of each other, that's usually a sign that there is a major problem.

There are newer employer reviews for ReachLocal