Great Culture & Great Working Environment

Current Employee - Operations in Plano, TX
Current Employee - Operations in Plano, TX

I have been working at ReachLocal full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Everyone knows that in your career, you typically spend more time with your co-workers that your family. I cannot imagine a better group of people to work for and with. We have a blast at work and everyone works so great in a team environment, that it makes it easy to succeed. It is truly a loving family that is open and accepting to everyone, and everyone on the team I consider a wonderful and genuine team. Everyone serves as a great mentor and truly has everyone's best interest at heart. The Management is amazing. If you go to them with a problem, they work diligently to solve the issue and make things easier for you. Management makes it very easy to approach them with challenges that you may be facing and will go to bat for you in all circumstances.

Cons

As an internet based company that is constantly changing, it can be scary to face change. I have been with this company for 6 years and have embraced the change only to find that in the end, we get through it together and stronger as a team and company.

Advice to Management

I have been in several different roles throughout the company and have had several different manager all with different management types. I have met and worked under some of the most talented, hard working, compassionate, and honest people that I truly look up to and admire as individuals. I take their strengths as something that I want to achieve in my career and try to achieve in myself in order to be a better employee and human being.

Other Employee Reviews for ReachLocal

1. Innovative company - Fun atmosphere - Great Co-workers

Current Employee - Corporate Recruiter in Plano, TX
    Current Employee - Corporate Recruiter in Plano, TX

I have been working at ReachLocal full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Best Position I have had - Great Boss, love my co-workers, excited to work for a company striving for growth! I wish people would understand that just because a company is in transition doesn't mean it is on its way out... The Mgmt is on the same page and have a clear vision of what this company should transform into. Change, although difficult at times, is Mandatory for Growth and Success!

Cons

My only con would be the separation between departments - company wide mingling could be better.

Advice to Management

Stick to the Vision!

Tons of career growth in last 2 years

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at ReachLocal full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The engineering group has undergone a transformation in the last 2 years, going from architecture that was well-meaning but hard to maintain to designs that are purposefully implemented. It's not perfect, but the progress is very visible. The company has been very supportive of our contributions to open source projects and also open sourcing our own projects. Look for us on github. They have also been very supportive of teams and people who speak at conferences about our technology. We've had people speak at local meetups, national conferences, and even out of the country for some international speaking engagements. In my time working with this current engineering management, I have been given significant support for some innovative side-projects to help develop engineering culture. That may be because my goals are aligned with them, but the point is: people are not discouraged from being creative and stretching beyond their current job description. We have a committee of people who brainstorm on how we can take engineering culture beyond where it is right now. We have standing meetups to shape and discuss architectural direction. From an engineering and technology perspective, we're going places. We have dev offices in OC and Minneapolis as well as Woodland Hills. We even have some remote staff. There are talented engineers working on mobile solutions, RoR, front-end web programming, Grails and Java. Our release engineering team is extremely supportive of our needs to implement CI across all of our projects. Instead of writing documents about how machines should be set up, we exchange config-management scripts with ops. Yes, executable instructions. The changes in the last 2 years have been monumental...

Cons

Our product org is extremely ambitious, but maybe too much so. It's always good to have work to do, but there could be better alignment between what's possible and what we aspire to do.

Advice to Management

Focus more narrowly on products that will empower our advertisers. Create better feedback loops for product management to understand and react to advertisers' needs. Set a high bar for going into new markets. Keep investing in your engineering team, it's working, but also be sure to invest in training the salesforce so they are fully able to sell the products we create. You have a ton of talent working here and some big plans; we need to be as efficient as possible with our choices. Also, we have a different CEO than this site shows...