Non-Stimulating Environment, Management is Generally Clueless/Unhelpful

Current Employee - Web Presence Professional  in  Plano, TX
Current Employee - Web Presence Professional in Plano, TX

I have been working at Reachlocal full-time

Pros

Flexible with time off, relaxed dress code. Great way to learn the basics of SEO, content marketing, etc.

Cons

Web Presence Professionals are the bottom of the barrel. The ReachCast product was great until the Penguin update by Google hit in May 2012. Since then, we've been playing catch-up to Google all the while SMB's are paying $1200-$1700 per month for a platform that barely works and is broken most of the time. Upper management still expects renewals with a broken product. Sorry, but I'm not going to convince already struggling SMB's to pay that much for Facebook updates and lackluster content. It's just wrong. Hopefully something is fixed soon. There is also a review above here that talks about the turnover - it is insane! I've never heard of or worked in a place where EVERY week someone or several people are leaving. There are so many new people coming in/out that it's confusing and creates a somewhat awkward work environment.

Give your employees answers! Help them solve issues and give them more hands-on instructions so there is less confusion.

Other Reviews for Reachlocal

Lots of fluff, be prepared to dupe your clients! Entry Level Job

Current Employee - Internet Marketing Consultant  in  Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Internet Marketing Consultant in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Reachlocal full-time for more than a year

Pros

Better than being unemployed.
    Pretty laid back environment
    If you can find enough businesses that don't read reviews about ReachLocal before signing, and also are not tech savvy, you can make a lot of money...well until they realize the truth about the mark-ups 6months later.

Cons

>Moving toward "big brother" status, phone calls will be tracked and recorded in Salesforce
    >Huge mark ups on PPC and other products - up to 33%!! A client spend 5k a month, 3500 goes to google the rest to RL, plus they can add in a management fee on top.
    >Proxy site bogs down site load times tremendously.
    >Instructed to lie to potential clients- "The Search Engines commission ReachLocal" ...yeah right, lol
    >Salary is sub-par.
    >Only get paid commission after the revenue spends (1 month delay on commissions), if you decide to leave the company, you lose your sales commissions. (It is set up so that the money always falls in RL's favor)
    >Unwilling to purchase general office supplies for the office, seemed kind of cheap for a company that netted $90 million in 2011/12
    >Low allotted expense limit - Max of $300/month (i.e. Gas, Cell phone)

Do what you do...

I love coming to work every day!

Current Employee - Customer Advocate  in  Shreveport, LA
    Current Employee - Customer Advocate in Shreveport, LA

I have been working at Reachlocal full-time for more than a year

Pros

The culture of the company is great! I enjoy coming to work and being able to talk to people located throughout the country. I really enjoy helping others which is why working in the Services division is a perfect fit. Whether it is a fellow team member, an IMC, or an advertiser, I'm always more than ready to offer assistance!

Cons

The lack of career opportunities in my location is frustrating.

Try to distribute the workload as evenly as possible and make every effort to keep team morale high. Please be as clease as possible about career opportunities.

There are newer employer reviews for Reachlocal.

Worked for Reachlocal? Contribute to the Community!