Not ideal

Former Contractor - Software Test Engineer in Seattle, WA
Former Contractor - Software Test Engineer in Seattle, WA

I worked at RealNetworks as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

It us an interesting industry space

Cons

I did not enjoy the culture of the company. People were friendly but still did not invest much time in creating group culture and chemistry. I think that if the team is united and creating work relationship it helps the execution level and collaboration.

Other Employee Reviews for RealNetworks

1. Management/Technology disconnect

Former Employee - Network Administration
    Former Employee - Network Administration

I worked at RealNetworks full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The company has a cloud system that is global in presence and well-designed, it is a great environment to learn the technology, partly because there are too many tasks and not enough technical people to carry them out, so asking to be part of something that is outside your specific task set is generally welcomed.

Cons

While the technology side of the company is able and agile, senior management struggles with finding an identity for the enterprise. The game portals have very loyal customers, but they don't seem to promote them anywhere online. The mp3 selling business (Rhapsody) was spun off last year. They have some interesting streaming business lines in SE Asia, but it's a small percentage of there business. One of the business lines is selling ringtones and ringback tones, with smartphones very few people need to buy ringtones anymore. Intra-departmental competition over who controls network operations and monitoring has frustrated the attempts of middle management to lower network costs.

Advice to Management

Follow Amazon and Google into the Cloud, you have the infrastructure to create new opportunities yet you have been trying to buy something, anything, that looks like it might be a 'hit'. To the board; Rob Glaser said he doesn't want to be CEO, you should listen to him. You've had two short term CEO's in the last three years. That should tell you something about the process you're using. Find a better search agency and have a review of your top-level relationships. There are some revolving door relationships which seem questionable in the Director/VP range in Seattle.

2. Perpetual Layoff Cycles

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I worked at RealNetworks full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

free on site gym, 25 cent arancianta, bowling alley, intelligent and interesting coworkers, in my case-amazing supervisors : real leadership, real genuine, and real humanity. paid ORCA card, affordable in house cafeteria, convenient downtown location

Cons

All the amazing, intelligent, people who you will learn from and become part of your family will get laid off. Then you will get laid off. Every year I worked there, I witnessed a Christmas layoff and eventually fell victim to the same fate in the Spring. Management seems to miss the mark all the way around and don't understand the value in personnel.