RealNetworks

www.realnetworks.com
  www.realnetworks.com
There are newer employer reviews for RealNetworks

Started great, now a weight

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA
Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I have been working at RealNetworks full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

I have never worked with as wonderful of a group as this in my life. I have learned a lot over my career here. If you want to be mentally challenged this is a great place.

Cons

Perpetual layoffs.
Failure to innovate. On a good day we are always about six months behind everyone.
Goals set are out of scope for the man hours required.
Far too much bureaucracy to be efficient.

Manage expectations.
Provide clear direction.
Do not wait until the last minute to tell us news.

199 Other Employee Reviews for RealNetworks (View Most Recent)

Not ideal

Former Employee - Software Test Engineer in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Software Test Engineer in Seattle, WA

I worked at RealNetworks as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

It us an interesting industry space

Cons

I did not enjoy the culture of the company. People were friendly but still did not invest much time in creating group culture and chemistry. I think that if the team is united and creating work relationship it helps the execution level and collaboration.

Management/Technology disconnect

Former Employee - Network Administration
    Former Employee - Network Administration

I worked at RealNetworks full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The company has a cloud system that is global in presence and well-designed, it is a great environment to learn the technology, partly because there are too many tasks and not enough technical people to carry them out, so asking to be part of something that is outside your specific task set is generally welcomed.

Cons

While the technology side of the company is able and agile, senior management struggles with finding an identity for the enterprise. The game portals have very loyal customers, but they don't seem to promote them anywhere online. The mp3 selling business (Rhapsody) was spun off last year. They have some interesting streaming business lines in SE Asia, but it's a small percentage of there business. One of the business lines is selling ringtones and ringback tones, with smartphones very few people need to buy ringtones anymore.
    Intra-departmental competition over who controls network operations and monitoring has frustrated the attempts of middle management to lower network costs.

Follow Amazon and Google into the Cloud, you have the infrastructure to create new opportunities yet you have been trying to buy something, anything, that looks like it might be a 'hit'. To the board; Rob Glaser said he doesn't want to be CEO, you should listen to him. You've had two short term CEO's in the last three years. That should tell you something about the process you're using. Find a better search agency and have a review of your top-level relationships. There are some revolving door relationships which seem questionable in the Director/VP range in Seattle.

There are newer employer reviews for RealNetworks