There are newer employer reviews for Rearden Commerce

Excellent engineering team

Current Employee - Software Engineer  in  Foster City, CA
Current Employee - Software Engineer in Foster City, CA

I have been working at Rearden Commerce

Pros

I have learned more in my first few months at Rearden than I learned in the last few years. There is a great energy in the engineering organization and a lot of extremely smart people. And for the first time in my professional life, there is management support for "doing things right".

I think a lot of this is due to the CTO, a former EBay architect, who is overseeing a big transformation of the old code base into a more modern architecture. Everything is being broken up into independent services (accessed via REST APIs) and redesigned for scale. We're now using Cassandra, Flume, Memcached, Grails, Eucalyptus and a host of other modern technologies. Things I've been wanting to use for years but haven't been able to. There is a very open attitude towards open source products. If you can make a case for it, it will be seriously considered.

I have found the engineering management to be very good as well. Most managers and directors are very technical, and the ones I have interacted with have been open minded and very positive and supportive.

There are weekly "Rearden University" sessions, where new technologies or projects are highlighted. There are monthly "pitstop" days where all scheduled work stops, and engineers are encouraged (strongly!) to work on side projects, such as trying out new technologies, or prototyping new project ideas (the managers are responsible for making waffles on pitstop days). And recently we have been getting business authors like Geoffrey Moore in to speak to the company.

I am still somewhat new here, and maybe there are problems I haven't seen, but so far I have found it to be a great workplace.

Cons

I have been in headquarters for months but have never seen the CEO. It would be nice if he would face the employees occasionally.

When people ask me what Rearden does, I still have trouble giving a clear answer. Is it a travel company? Is it a B2B platform company? Does it make a "Personal Assistant"? What are "Smart Apps"?

Much of the product is still on the old code base, and it will take a lot of work to modernize it, however the company does seem to be serious about making the investment.

Provide a clearer explanation of the vision. What exactly is Rearden Commerce? If your employees struggle to say what Rearden does, think about how difficult it must be for potential customers.

134 Other Employee Reviews for Rearden Commerce (View Most Recent)

New to the company -- and seeing great energy and momentum

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Foster City, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Foster City, CA

I have been working at Rearden Commerce

Pros

There's a great energy here, and people are truly excited about what they do. Lot's of work to be done, but a great team to do it with.

Cons

There are many new people -- but management seems keen on meshing everyone together with a revived culture.

Not recommended

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Foster City, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Foster City, CA

I worked at Rearden Commerce

Pros

The original vision, but it keeps changing.

Cons

Unstable Executive Leadership. New teams rolling in each year and the most recent crew doesn't even have industry experice.

Rearden is still trying to boil the ocean yet they say they are not. The proof is the lack of ability to best in class at anything.

Lastly, a Platform should grow, however, the Rearden platform has fewer features today than it had two years ago. It has yet to be come the Amazon for services. Still unsure how the new Procurement solution fits.

Execute already and stop hiring non-industry personnel and putting them in leadership roles; try promoting from within and maybe the turnover will drop! Try to focus on ONE product before moving to the next. You need ot be best in class at something.

There are newer employer reviews for Rearden Commerce

Worked for Rearden Commerce? Contribute to the Community!