Record-Journal

www.myrecordjournal.com
There are newer employer reviews for Record-Journal

RJ a good place to work, but pitfalls like any other newspaper

Current Employee - Reporter in Meriden, CT
Current Employee - Reporter in Meriden, CT

I have been working at Record-Journal

Pros

It's a community newspaper where you will most definitely have an opportunity to learn the trade and become a better writer/reporter.

Cons

Too often, reporters are asked to turn out two stories a day, and it means that reporters will not be able to spend time working on more in-depth stories and making them better. The problem with this is while reporters do turn out enough copy to make the daily news operation continue to run, we're putting out more insignificant stories and not taking the necessary time to do more in-depth reporting. This isn't something that's specific at the Record-Journal now, but moreso the entire news industry as a whole. The RJ does allow for in-depth pieces to be written occasionally, but the daily news grind is really what takes precedence most often.

Allow reporters more time to work on larger, more in-depth pieces.

4 Other Employee Reviews for Record-Journal (View Most Recent)

It was challenging, exciting, and different ever day.

Former Employee - News Reporter in Meriden, CT
    Former Employee - News Reporter in Meriden, CT

I worked at Record-Journal part-time (more than a year)

Pros

Doing something new every day was challenging. Coming up with my own story ideas and following through was satisfying.

Cons

I was hired as a temporary reporter, so when the funding ended, so did my job.

Opportunity and Micromanagement

Former Employee - Advertising Account Executive in Oklahoma City, OK
    Former Employee - Advertising Account Executive in Oklahoma City, OK

I worked at Record-Journal full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Anything networking related is priority. So much opportunity to learn, network and grow. Excellent central location for meetings and luncheons. Upper management knows when stress level is too high.

Cons

You're never really, "off". It's a 24/7 job with unrealistic goals to meet and awful company lunches. If money is your motivation, this might be the job for you. Also, high level of miscommunication from various departments not working together for deadlines. EVERY day is a deadline.

There are newer employer reviews for Record-Journal