There are newer employer reviews for Red Frog Events

Best place to work!!

I worked at Red Frog Events as an intern for less than a year

Pros

Amazing office culture, work hard/play hard attitude, lots of energy and everyone is treated as a part of the team. Outstanding benefits and great people to work with.

Cons

There is no real hierarchy so getting a question answered can be difficult. Things are sometimes left to last minute. Handling of payments to vendors and volunteer groups were not sent in timely manner making developing long term relationships difficult.

120 Other Employee Reviews for Red Frog Events (View Most Recent)

Not What I Expected

I worked at Red Frog Events as an intern for less than a year

Pros

People seem friendly at first and then fall into their cliques. Not so cool after that.

Office seems like a cool place to work at first. Then it wears off and isn't that fun.

Bunch of free stuff.

Living in Chicago is awesome.

Traveling to events is fun.

Cons

It took me a while to write this review as my internship has been over for two months. I didn't want it to be rash or reactionary, so I waited for a while in order to let cooler heads prevail.

With that said, I couldn't say enough bad things about Red Frog Events. There is nothing, absolutely NOTHING, redeeming about the internship experience. You are bossed around by people with no experience, you are forced to interact in odd, often drunken social situations in order to gain favor with the full time employees, and you are constantly being lied to by the Frogs as they keep dangling the possibility of a full time offer in front of your naive face.

At the end of the day it is terrible place to be. Gossip, back stabbing, people reliving their high school dreams of being the 'cool kid' in school, awkward interactions, and (from what I hear) terrible starting pay for full timers...there really isn't a bright spot and there really isn't any reason to apply to work at this company. Yes, I was completely fooled into thinking that the company was awesome. But it isn't. I learned the hard way.

If you want to spend the beginning of your career in an awkward internship where you are completely exploited by the company and then (if you're part of the <5% that actually get hired) you feel comfortable exploiting and lying to hundreds of wide eyed interns a year while getting tiny paycheck and having to continue kissing up to everyone just to maintain your position in the company, then go for it. I wouldn't recommend Red Frog to my worst enemy.

You're horrible., invisible, and give the general impression that you don't give two craps about your company. Get a grip on your company and shake things up. Your employees are terrible.

Should Have Read These Reviews Earlier

I worked at Red Frog Events as an intern for less than a year

Pros

Free stuff: clothing allowance when on site at events, lunch on Mondays, free beer, Red Bull, snacks, etc in the office.

Field trip during your internship, which is really fun.

Fun fellow interns who are very talented people. You will become best friends with many of them.

The events are really fun, even though you work a lot on site at Warrior Dash. It's great to see people have a good time on the day of the event.

There are many pros to the internship...but only if you are a current college student doing it over the summer. If you are looking to get hired on the other side of the internship, like all of the interns during the fall and spring, then interning at RFE will be the worst mistake you ever make.

Cons

The perfect description of RFE, at least in my mind, is dysfunctional "family." The dysfunction begins with the internship itself. Interns are brought into camp RFE by the hundreds every year because without them their company would not be able to exist. Since you are there as a peon, you are not treated like someone who wants to actually learn about the business of event planning or someone that they want to really invest any time in. You are just treated as a low level worker that will stick around for 5 months until a new batch of peons arrive at 320 Ohio St. READ THESE REVIEWS. If the internship wasn't so dysfunctional, do you really think so many people would be compelled to write on this website about how awful it was?

The dysfunction continues with the full time employees. They talk about "family" and you being a part of it. That's completely untrue. The full time employees are the family. You are like the catering staff for their family BBQ: you do all the work, get a few smiles, have a few laughs, but you aren't really part of their family and you don't really matter to them. Not only that, but the full time employees, very often, have no experience or training in the positions that they are placed in. When I started there were a few recent college grads whose only experience was the 3 month internship they just finished. Yet these are the people that are running key aspects of a $90 million company?

The dysfunction extends to the upper management, who take zero time to get to know you while you work your butt off for their company. They then decide to hire a few of the interns based on how well they are liked by the full time employees. You read that right: they use the same logic in hiring for their $90 million company that the prom committee at the local high school uses to crown their Prom Queen. It's mind boggling that talent, dedication, hard work, perseverance, and passion mean absolutely nothing at RFE. It's all about popularity. They also don't seem to treat their full time employees with too much respect. Three of them got fired during our internship, one with no other explanation than they "thought" a review on this site was talking about her. No evidence. No chance to defend herself. No respect.

After the internship the dysfunction continues as all of the "friends" you had among the full time employees...you know: your "family" that loved you so much...disappear out of your life forever. That was probably the hardest thing for me to deal with as I genuinely believed that some of the friendships I had with the full time employees were genuine. Turns out it was all just a part of the dysfunction that is RFE.

As many have said before: change your hiring strategy. You are at the point where hiring young, inexperienced college grads is not cute or fun or quirky: it's simply a poor business decision.

There are newer employer reviews for Red Frog Events

Worked for Red Frog Events? Contribute to the Community!