Red Frog Events

www.redfrogevents.com
There are newer employer reviews for Red Frog Events

Best place to work!!

I worked at Red Frog Events as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

Amazing office culture, work hard/play hard attitude, lots of energy and everyone is treated as a part of the team. Outstanding benefits and great people to work with.

Cons

There is no real hierarchy so getting a question answered can be difficult. Things are sometimes left to last minute. Handling of payments to vendors and volunteer groups were not sent in timely manner making developing long term relationships difficult.

125 Other Employee Reviews for Red Frog Events (View Most Recent)

Not What I Expected

I worked at Red Frog Events as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

People seem friendly at first and then fall into their cliques. Not so cool after that.

Office seems like a cool place to work at first. Then it wears off and isn't that fun.

Bunch of free stuff.

Living in Chicago is awesome.

Traveling to events is fun.

Cons

It took me a while to write this review as my internship has been over for two months. I didn't want it to be rash or reactionary, so I waited for a while in order to let cooler heads prevail.

With that said, I couldn't say enough bad things about Red Frog Events. There is nothing, absolutely NOTHING, redeeming about the internship experience. You are bossed around by people with no experience, you are forced to interact in odd, often drunken social situations in order to gain favor with the full time employees, and you are constantly being lied to by the Frogs as they keep dangling the possibility of a full time offer in front of your naive face.

At the end of the day it is terrible place to be. Gossip, back stabbing, people reliving their high school dreams of being the 'cool kid' in school, awkward interactions, and (from what I hear) terrible starting pay for full timers...there really isn't a bright spot and there really isn't any reason to apply to work at this company. Yes, I was completely fooled into thinking that the company was awesome. But it isn't. I learned the hard way.

If you want to spend the beginning of your career in an awkward internship where you are completely exploited by the company and then (if you're part of the <5% that actually get hired) you feel comfortable exploiting and lying to hundreds of wide eyed interns a year while getting tiny paycheck and having to continue kissing up to everyone just to maintain your position in the company, then go for it. I wouldn't recommend Red Frog to my worst enemy.

You're horrible., invisible, and give the general impression that you don't give two craps about your company. Get a grip on your company and shake things up. Your employees are terrible.

An Internship, A Poor Experience, and Moving Forward: My Life At RFE

I worked at Red Frog Events as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

There are a lot of perks to the job, which is how they lure so many interns into the position every semester. The office is made to attract people to the position as it has a slide, tree houses, a bar, TVs, and a generally fun atmosphere.

Outside of unlimited vacation days, the free food and drinks, lunch on Mondays, and a clothing stipend when you go on events, all of the other benefits are reserved for full time employees, so don't let that factor into your decision of taking the internship.

The best part of the internship, hands down, is meeting, working with, and becoming friends with the other interns.

Cons

Preparing for the internship I did a lot of research on the company. I studied and learned as much as I could. Going into the internship I worked as hard as I possibly could: coming in early, staying late, going above and beyond, helping out wherever I could around the office, and generally putting my best foot forward at every turn.

The feedback I received from my mentor (which was, in turn, feedback they received from my team leaders and from RDs on site at events) seemed to confirm my own thoughts: I was working hard, doing good work, getting a long with everybody, and generally putting my best foot forward at every turn. All signs, both implicit and explicit, pointed towards getting the job at the other side of the internship.

The problem was that I sincerely discounted three main things in my assessment of how the internship was going:

1) The fact that RFE does not hire based on how hard you work or how well you do your work. They hire based on who is the most popular among their full time employees.

2) The fact that all your feedback is not meant to be an honest representation of how well you are doing, but a way to keep you motivated to keep working hard, all the while thinking that your hard work will bloom into a full time offer.

3) The immaturity and selfishness of the full time employees. A mature and selfless employee who is secure with their skills in the workplace and concerned with the future of the company for which they work would push to hire the best and the brightest of each internship class. Not at RFE. The employees push for interns who will not encroach on their position in the company. The result is that RFE keeps hiring weaker and weaker staff.

So, inevitably, I did not get the offer to come on full time. My mentor read some excuse from an email they received and had no real, viable reason about why I did not get hired. The real reason was that I worked hard instead of worrying about my popularity among the full time staff, foolishly thinking that RFE rewarded good, hard work and talent above popularity among their employees. The real rub was that I honestly believed that I was good friends with the full time staff as I had nothing but positive experiences with them and never ruffled any feathers. But, just like the feedback from my mentor, team leaders, and RDs, that was also completely fake.

So as I move forward, I look back at my time at RFE with mixed feelings. Most of them are negative as I feel the company has some serious issues that need to be dealt with immediately. The bright spots are the friendships with the other interns that I know I will have for the rest of my life.

Did I learn during my internship? Not a lot.

Would I ever do it again? Never. Had I known then what I know now I would have never done it to begin with.

Am I going to spend my time being bitter towards RFE? A bit of time, perhaps. But I know that it is better to have RFE in the rear view mirror than it is to be in worthless, thankless internship on Ohio St.

Where to begin.

The philosophy you had when you had 10 employees and quirky workspace absolutely does not work with a company of your size. Your homecoming court-esque internship program which only rewards popularity and not hard work is absolute nonsense. You are never going to have continued success with that kind of short thinking.

Internally there needs to be an outlet for interns and employees to give honest feedback. Because your program is built upon popularity, no one ever feels free to give honest feedback. Some have suggested firing 50% of your full time employees. I think that's generous. I'd put the number closer to 75%.

Start trimming the fat and hiring the talent. Your company will blow away the competition. At this point the competition is in the lead.

There are newer employer reviews for Red Frog Events