There are newer employer reviews for Red Hat

Fantastic place to work at!

Current Employee - IT Consultant in Phoenix, AZ
Current Employee - IT Consultant in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Red Hat full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

You get to work with the brightest people in the IT industry. Pay is not bad and your get to work with fantastic open source software.

Cons

Internal process is not well defined.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

Corporate America

Current Employee - IT Consultant in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - IT Consultant in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Red Hat full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Open Source. Lots of good people. Plenty of room for growth. Lots of offices, so you can move where you like. In tech circles, there is a certain amount of sex appeal. I.e. for a large multinational IT corporate, Red Hat has a lot better rep than Microsoft. Great servers, good pay, and lots of perks.

Cons

While we're technically "open source", we're not really. The business model is, put out great software with crappy documentation, then sell services. For my money, if I were starting a business, I'd go CentOS. Mind you, Red Hat is a necessary evil. CentOS wouldn't exist if someone didn't pay Red Hat to continually improve their product. If you hear "open source" and think cutting edge and open, go somewhere else. Red Hat is a major corporation and it's run like one.

Advice to Management

You have a lot of disenfranchised employees. Go back to the basics. Think culture over bottom line.

Great place to work full of great people to work with and solid leadership at the top.

Current Employee - Director Or Above in Raleigh, NC
    Current Employee - Director Or Above in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at Red Hat full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

- face paced - tons of internal mobility - low tolerance for non-performers - growing company

Cons

- not enough investment... doesn't match pace of growth - financial recognition and reward trails efforts - tendency to "squeeze too much blood out of the turnips" You can have work-life balance, but you have to insist on it.

Advice to Management

Invest. The business is being run too lean and the end result is people getting ground down. I am fairly senior at Red Hat and just don't understand the lack of investment.