Red Hat

www.redhat.com

Smart, passionate people working together for a common goal.

Software Engineer (Current Employee) Raleigh, NC

ProsPeople here are generally smart and passionate about what they do.
The company cares about its employees and tries to provide opportunities for advancement and education.
The company is always tackling interesting projects and hard problems, there is always a lot of challenging work that needs to be done if you know where to look.
Overall I consider it a very good place to work.

ConsInterdepartmental cooperation is not what it should be.
It is unclear what (if any) value some middle managers are contributing.
The company does a bad job of firing unproductive individual contributors or managers; people tend to just linger indefinitely while continuing to be unproductive.

Advice to Senior ManagementMake sure you are actually getting value from your middle managers and individual contributors. Don't be afraid to fire people who are just collecting a paycheck. There are plenty of skilled and talented people who would like to work here, let's not settle for less than the best.

Very clickish unprofessional and disappointing environment

Senior Manager (Current Employee) Raleigh, NC

I have been working at Red Hat full-time for less than a year

Pros: It says a lot when the only Pro I can come up… Cons: Management is able to go rouge. No polices in place to protect employees from a bad manager. Take "Right to… Advice to Senior Management: Look at your attrition and retention. You are not the… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend – I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company… More

Good Experience

Software Engineer (Former Employee) Raleigh, NC

I worked at Red Hat full-time for more than 3 years

Pros: Collaborative environment Mid-level management is involved and responsive Real value is placed on software Development… Cons: Rapid growth is stretching management and infrastructure resources Limited career growth… Advice to Senior Management: Making good progress, but walls between departments still exist and… Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend – I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company… More
There are newer reviews on Red Hat.

Worked for Red Hat? Contribute to the Community!