Red Hat

www.redhat.com
  www.redhat.com
There are newer employer reviews for Red Hat

Good company with a terrible IT department

Current Employee - Linux Systems Administrator in Raleigh, NC
Current Employee - Linux Systems Administrator in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at Red Hat full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

I believe the overall company is a good one and the environment seems to be positive outside of IT. I like the company's mission and how they seem to be executing on it.

Cons

The IT department in the company seems to be exclusively concerned with covering the ass of upper management. Even the simplest technical problems are solved with the addition of more process on an already overly burdened system. While I was there, the IT department was rife with blatant nepotism and conflicts of interest. Even those that prove that they are toxic for the company are simply moved to other areas of IT and not terminated. Worse, the process has been shown to cause outages, yet the answer is to add more process. Between this blind pursuit of process and the toxic working environment, I am glad to be out of there and would never recommend anyone work in Red Hat IT.

Replace the CIO and all directors. Start from scratch and build an IT organization that can effectively benefit the company.

327 Other Employee Reviews for Red Hat (View Most Recent)

Smart, passionate people working together for a common goal.

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Raleigh, NC
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at Red Hat full-time

Pros

People here are generally smart and passionate about what they do.
    The company cares about its employees and tries to provide opportunities for advancement and education.
    The company is always tackling interesting projects and hard problems, there is always a lot of challenging work that needs to be done if you know where to look.
    Overall I consider it a very good place to work.

Cons

Interdepartmental cooperation is not what it should be.
    It is unclear what (if any) value some middle managers are contributing.
    The company does a bad job of firing unproductive individual contributors or managers; people tend to just linger indefinitely while continuing to be unproductive.

Make sure you are actually getting value from your middle managers and individual contributors. Don't be afraid to fire people who are just collecting a paycheck. There are plenty of skilled and talented people who would like to work here, let's not settle for less than the best.

Very clickish unprofessional and disappointing environment

Current Employee - Senior Manager in Raleigh, NC
    Current Employee - Senior Manager in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at Red Hat full-time (less than an year)

Pros

It says a lot when the only Pro I can come up with is free snacks. The pay can be generous albeit short lived.

Cons

Management is able to go rouge. No polices in place to protect employees from a bad manager. Take "Right to Work State" too literally with no respect for employee well being. People tend to "disapper" not a positive work environment.

Look at your attrition and retention. You are not the only game in town, be more respectfull of the talent.

There are newer employer reviews for Red Hat