There are newer employer reviews for Red Hat

Good company with a terrible IT department

Current Employee - Linux Systems Administrator in Raleigh, NC
Current Employee - Linux Systems Administrator in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at Red Hat full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I believe the overall company is a good one and the environment seems to be positive outside of IT. I like the company's mission and how they seem to be executing on it.

Cons

The IT department in the company seems to be exclusively concerned with covering the ass of upper management. Even the simplest technical problems are solved with the addition of more process on an already overly burdened system. While I was there, the IT department was rife with blatant nepotism and conflicts of interest. Even those that prove that they are toxic for the company are simply moved to other areas of IT and not terminated. Worse, the process has been shown to cause outages, yet the answer is to add more process. Between this blind pursuit of process and the toxic working environment, I am glad to be out of there and would never recommend anyone work in Red Hat IT.

Advice to Management

Replace the CIO and all directors. Start from scratch and build an IT organization that can effectively benefit the company.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

Fast paced, innovative & collaborative and employees have a good work/life balance in my view.

Current Employee - Branding Specialist [ I Just Left This Department of Unhappy Old Hags] in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at Red Hat full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great technology, innovation, employees are encouraged to speak up. Red Hat has a dynamic global work force and hires the top talent no matter where they live in the world. Employees are not micro-managed and are empowered to utilize their skills and experience in their fields.

Cons

RedHat's corporate "branding" team thinks they run the company and members step out of their boundaries to monitor every social post or opinion of employees who blog, tweet or just have opinions they express on a social media platform. I'd bet someone in branding will read this review and attempt to stick their 2 to 4 cents in on my post.

Management might be too focused on wall street and keeping analysts happy at times;

Advice to Management

RedHat has been a huge growth company and is still growing at 20% per quarter and at some point it would be nice if management didn't make every decision based solely on the stock price and catering to the analysts on wall street.

Management should remind the branding team they are a 'support' division and are not the corporate police on employee views, opinions and thoughts. Management would be better off if Red Hat's branding team members would 'take a chill-pill' or to be honest, "go pound sand".

Good Experience

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Raleigh, NC
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Raleigh, NC

I worked at Red Hat full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Collaborative environment
    Mid-level management is involved and responsive
    Real value is placed on software
    Development staff is very talented
    Transparency is a priority
    Embraces technology market shifts
    Contributes to the community

Cons

Rapid growth is stretching management and infrastructure resources
    Limited career growth in some departments

Advice to Management

Making good progress, but walls between departments still exist and hamper rapid progress.