Great Workplace, Awesome people

I worked at Red Hat as an intern

Pros

Everyone around is motivating and talented. The company is very unique in it's own way. Flexible timings and good facilities

Cons

The work isn't challenging enough.

Other Reviews for Red Hat

Lots of opportunity to work on open source, poorly run internal projects and products.

Current Employee - Software Engineer  in  Westford, MA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Westford, MA

I have been working at Red Hat full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Red Hat is committed to open source development and if you want to work in that environment and not have a company hassle you about participating in the open source community, Red Hat is good.

Cons

Very weak regional office representation. Weak brand identity in the software industry. Confusion among customers about what Red Hat does (Linux? JBoss? Something with Cloud?). Little to no recognition for significant project contributions. Low pay for the industry and very low raises. No guidance for career path and impossible internal mobility.

Increase investment in associates. Pay and benefits should be more competitive for the industry. Guidance and plans should be in place for people wanting to grow their career. Internal mobility should be possible.

A company that really understands how to use technology in the modern workplace

Current Employee - Senior Consultant
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant

I have been working at Red Hat full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

There is no salary cap that forces a jump from engineering to management.
    Management makes effective use of communications (email, chat, phone, video-conference) to ensure that remotees are plugged into whats going on.
    Most development groups allow remote employees
    Upper management seems to be managing for the long haul as opposed to targeting the next earning call.
    Even though we're pushing 6000 employees, we haven't quite lost the feel of a startup. It's not quite as loose and crazy as it was in 2000 but it's not shirt-and-tie corporate America either.
    No "that's not your job" culture. People tend to jump in an fix something rather than trying to push it off on someone else.

Cons

Still see a reluctance to hire US engineers, probably due to salary/benefits issues. That being said, if someone is well-known in their field, space can be made.

Might want to make an effort to get remotees to some of the big Linux/JBoss conferences, just to have them meet other team members or people in the community. Travel budgets have been especially tight...
    Tell HR to quit renaming themselves. Nothing wrong with being called Human Resources or *gasp* Personnel.
    I realize that we have to have reviews; it would be nice if it didn't require that we take classes to learn how to do the reviews. As you may have guessed, I'm an engineer and you pay me to write code, not fill out forms.

There are newer employer reviews for Red Hat.

Worked for Red Hat? Contribute to the Community!