Red Hat

www.redhat.com
  www.redhat.com
There are newer employer reviews for Red Hat

Outstanding products and brilliant coworkers

Former Employee - Technical Support Engineer in Raleigh, NC
Former Employee - Technical Support Engineer in Raleigh, NC

I worked at Red Hat full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Truly lives up to the term "collaboration" and breathes the open source principles in day-to-day operations. Some truly brilliant coworkers who are passionate about what they do. The learning curve is very steep, but the environment is supportive and tech support engineers gain experience very quickly. Train every TSE for RHCE and require they attain it to maintain their position. Continue to develop internal and external tools to streamline workflow and make the organization more efficient.

Cons

The compensation is far from competitive. This aids in attracting those who are passionate about the technology and open source culture; however, it is difficult to raise a family and pay debts on the poor pay. Also causes a constant churn of the most skilled engineers.

Make the pay more competitive. You don't have to lead the pack, but reduce the gap.

332 Other Employee Reviews for Red Hat (View Most Recent)

Overall good experience with a growing industry leader

I worked at Red Hat as an intern

Pros

awesome location, great pay, learned a lot

Cons

at times i felt that my boss was unprepared as to what she expected from my role which often left me wondering what my role entailed/ what my purpose in it was

streamline internship roles

A rare company that practices what it preaches

Current Employee - Software Architect in Westford, MA
    Current Employee - Software Architect in Westford, MA

I have been working at Red Hat full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Red Hat has a strong commitment to open-source software. It contributes to the advancement of technology around the world, allowing people to build atop the work of others to produce products and solutions greater than the sum of their parts.

The corporate culture is by far the finest I have experienced. The culture of collaboration permeates every level of the business.

Cons

Red Hat's salaries do not always measure up to the giants of Silicon Valley. The work-life balance can sometimes be difficult to maintain, as everyone in engineering performs multiple jobs.

Red Hat can be stingy at times, such as requiring employees to room together on business trips.

Loosen the purse-strings a bit to avoid losing good people to soulless companies with deep pockets. People will stay at Red Hat for the corporate culture if the pay gap shrank a bit.

There are newer employer reviews for Red Hat