There are newer employer reviews for Red Hat

Solutions Architect

Current Employee - Solutions Architect in Dallas, TX
Current Employee - Solutions Architect in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Red Hat full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Very good environment to learn new technologies and be a part of a company who sets the bar for technology.

Cons

There are a lot of conflicting egos. But, that is pervasive in any high-tech company.

Keep up the good work!

311 Other Employee Reviews for Red Hat (View Most Recent)

Wasn't as open-source as I'd expect, but I was not working in development. No stock, decent compensation.

Current Employee - Sales Analyst in Raleigh, NC
    Current Employee - Sales Analyst in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at Red Hat full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Tolerant of sexual orientation / race, Decent Compensation, the developers have a great open-source culture, frequent free food, free soda and snacks every day. Team had pretty good cohesion and occasionally shared a potluck or a team-building half-day out of the office.

Cons

I was in the sales/analysts part of the company, and Red Hat's sales organization has a less open-source culture than previous jobs where I worked close to developers. I worked medium-long hours, and especially long hours around quarter ends, which diluted my hourly wage to "not worth it". I used Windows/Excel/PowerPoint, and our team did things the way you do them at all US / multinational mega-corps. I felt there were too many layers of management between me and the customer, and that it would take forever to rise through at least 3 of the 6 layers of the corporation's management (just like a pyramid scheme) to get good compensation. The days of stock options ended sometime between 2012-2013 for the bottom-level developers/analysts. I think even first-level managers still can get stock options, but the chance for real wealth has past. Most of these cons apply to most corporate jobs. I improved my Excel skills to even higher levels. I didn't learn or improve other valuable skills that I can make money with, so personal growth was limited. I was praised for my effort and results, but never rewarded with more money, more time, or better work. I discovered my marginal earnings / hour were better managing my personal investments and fulfilling orders and improving the efficiency of my own little business during lunch, so I quit after 1 year. My managers said they were sad when I announced I wanted to leave, but didn't offer anything more to keep me. I think actions speak louder than words, and Red Hat's actions said it only valued me as a $28/hr (pre-tax) / $21/hr (post-tax) Excel and salesforce.com jockey. Red Hat offered no way of improving me into a higher-value role, so I left. I now make $35/hr on my lowest-value tasks, and can work as little or as much as I want, when I want, and still make enough to live where I like, and do anything I want all day, every day.

Let the sales/analysts be part of Red Hat's open-source culture. My manager was questioned by his manager when I responded to one of the Red Hat company-wide lists about why I choose a High-Deductible Health Plan (HDHP). His attitude was, "why is (s)he writing this 2 or 3 paragraph email about HDHP, (s)he should be working!" This response shocked me, because Red Hat is supposedly about everyone contributing and having their opinions heard.

Red Hat provided me with a wonderful internship opportunity!

Former Employee - Human Resources in Raleigh, NC
    Former Employee - Human Resources in Raleigh, NC

I worked at Red Hat as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

I was only a part of the company for four short months but during that time I got a great taste of what working at Red Hat entails. The culture is truly something a college grad dreams of working in! There is never a dull moment or boring day. The team does a lot together, not only in the workplace but after hours as well. It is somewhere that makes everyone, even the interns feel like a part of the team.

Cons

Since finishing my internship with Red Hat I have not been able to find an entry level position on the business side of things. That is not really a "con" but it would be amazing to land a full-time position with such a great company.

More entry level positions available and a way to notify interested applicants when positions become available would be great!

There are newer employer reviews for Red Hat