Red Hat

Political

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Raleigh, NC
Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at Red Hat full-time

Pros

Good benefits, hard working colleagues and autonomy

Cons

Politics. The company (at least back office functions) is full of back biting politics between and within departments. Everyone is afraid of losing power and fights for position. A lot of smoke and mirrors without much truth to employees or higher management. Many in leadership are checked out and are more concerned about positioning themselves outside of Red Hat instead of focusing on what needs to be done within their departments.

Also, lip service is paid to growth and moving within the company but for many in back office functions, to move is almost impossible because managers will limit your mobility to not lose the headcount number.

Collaboration, trust and transparency are buzzwords that are not lived out in practice at Red Hat.

Clean house in your second and third level "leaders". They are not being honest with you and are only interested in advancing personal agendas. They are playing a chess game with you and each other.

Invest in your people - even those in cost center departments. Allow those with a vision to blossom instead of allowing them to be silenced in the interest of politics.

332 Other Employee Reviews for Red Hat (View Most Recent)

Solutions Architect

Current Employee - Solutions Architect in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Solutions Architect in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Red Hat full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Very good environment to learn new technologies and be a part of a company who sets the bar for technology.

Cons

There are a lot of conflicting egos. But, that is pervasive in any high-tech company.

Keep up the good work!

Wasn't as open-source as I'd expect, but I was not working in development. No stock, decent compensation.

Current Employee - Sales Analyst in Raleigh, NC
    Current Employee - Sales Analyst in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at Red Hat full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Tolerant of sexual orientation / race, Decent Compensation, the developers have a great open-source culture, frequent free food, free soda and snacks every day. Team had pretty good cohesion and occasionally shared a potluck or a team-building half-day out of the office.

Cons

I was in the sales/analysts part of the company, and Red Hat's sales organization has a less open-source culture than previous jobs where I worked close to developers. I worked medium-long hours, and especially long hours around quarter ends, which diluted my hourly wage to "not worth it". I used Windows/Excel/PowerPoint, and our team did things the way you do them at all US / multinational mega-corps. I felt there were too many layers of management between me and the customer, and that it would take forever to rise through at least 3 of the 6 layers of the corporation's management (just like a pyramid scheme) to get good compensation. The days of stock options ended sometime between 2012-2013 for the bottom-level developers/analysts. I think even first-level managers still can get stock options, but the chance for real wealth has past. Most of these cons apply to most corporate jobs. I improved my Excel skills to even higher levels. I didn't learn or improve other valuable skills that I can make money with, so personal growth was limited. I was praised for my effort and results, but never rewarded with more money, more time, or better work. I discovered my marginal earnings / hour were better managing my personal investments and fulfilling orders and improving the efficiency of my own little business during lunch, so I quit after 1 year. My managers said they were sad when I announced I wanted to leave, but didn't offer anything more to keep me. I think actions speak louder than words, and Red Hat's actions said it only valued me as a $28/hr (pre-tax) / $21/hr (post-tax) Excel and salesforce.com jockey. Red Hat offered no way of improving me into a higher-value role, so I left. I now make $35/hr on my lowest-value tasks, and can work as little or as much as I want, when I want, and still make enough to live where I like, and do anything I want all day, every day.

Let the sales/analysts be part of Red Hat's open-source culture. My manager was questioned by his manager when I responded to one of the Red Hat company-wide lists about why I choose a High-Deductible Health Plan (HDHP). His attitude was, "why is (s)he writing this 2 or 3 paragraph email about HDHP, (s)he should be working!" This response shocked me, because Red Hat is supposedly about everyone contributing and having their opinions heard.

There are newer employer reviews for Red Hat