Red Hat

www.redhat.com
There are newer employer reviews for Red Hat

Great place to work for Open Source advocates and open-minded people!

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Raleigh, NC
Current Employee - Software Engineer in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at Red Hat full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Company culture is awesome if you're an open source advocate. If you're not, it's still a great place to work as long as you keep an open mind. Work is pretty flexible, sometimes even leaving it up to take the initiative to work on valuable projects. Most people are really passionate about what they do, which makes for awesome work life. However, there is also a real balance with life, offering pretty good PTO.

Cons

There seems to be a decline in the importance of Open Source for some people, making it OK to adopt proprietary solutions when convenient. It's probably a side effect of a growing company, where a lot of the people coming in don't have the same vision and passion for Open Source.

Don't let profitability stomp on culture and values. The reason Red Hat is what it is is finding a good business model around supporting Open Source, and continuing to be a leader in the field. If Red Hat starts using proprietary tools internally, what does that say to the rest of the world?

340 Other Employee Reviews for Red Hat (View Most Recent)

Good Open Source Culture Based Company

I have been working at Red Hat full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

- Great work/life balance.
    - Ability to contribute to open source projects.
    - Has the welfare of its customers in mind.

Cons

* Company has grown beyond its initial roots. It has crossed $1B in revenue last year. Now revenue trumps culture. Company can get short sighted.
    * Either Engineering calls the shots or management calls the shots. There is a clear divide between management and engineers. No intermingling.

- Promote people often.
    - Have a yard stick for management particularly product management.

Wasn't as open-source as I'd expect, but I was not working in development. No stock, decent compensation.

Current Employee - Sales Analyst in Raleigh, NC
    Current Employee - Sales Analyst in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at Red Hat full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Tolerant of sexual orientation / race, Decent Compensation, the developers have a great open-source culture, frequent free food, free soda and snacks every day. Team had pretty good cohesion and occasionally shared a potluck or a team-building half-day out of the office.

Cons

I was in the sales/analysts part of the company, and Red Hat's sales organization has a less open-source culture than previous jobs where I worked close to developers. I worked medium-long hours, and especially long hours around quarter ends, which diluted my hourly wage to "not worth it". I used Windows/Excel/PowerPoint, and our team did things the way you do them at all US / multinational mega-corps. I felt there were too many layers of management between me and the customer, and that it would take forever to rise through at least 3 of the 6 layers of the corporation's management (just like a pyramid scheme) to get good compensation. The days of stock options ended sometime between 2012-2013 for the bottom-level developers/analysts. I think even first-level managers still can get stock options, but the chance for real wealth has past. Most of these cons apply to most corporate jobs. I improved my Excel skills to even higher levels. I didn't learn or improve other valuable skills that I can make money with, so personal growth was limited. I was praised for my effort and results, but never rewarded with more money, more time, or better work. I discovered my marginal earnings / hour were better managing my personal investments and fulfilling orders and improving the efficiency of my own little business during lunch, so I quit after 1 year. My managers said they were sad when I announced I wanted to leave, but didn't offer anything more to keep me. I think actions speak louder than words, and Red Hat's actions said it only valued me as a $28/hr (pre-tax) / $21/hr (post-tax) Excel and salesforce.com jockey. Red Hat offered no way of improving me into a higher-value role, so I left. I now make $35/hr on my lowest-value tasks, and can work as little or as much as I want, when I want, and still make enough to live where I like, and do anything I want all day, every day.

Let the sales/analysts be part of Red Hat's open-source culture. My manager was questioned by his manager when I responded to one of the Red Hat company-wide lists about why I choose a High-Deductible Health Plan (HDHP). His attitude was, "why is (s)he writing this 2 or 3 paragraph email about HDHP, (s)he should be working!" This response shocked me, because Red Hat is supposedly about everyone contributing and having their opinions heard.

There are newer employer reviews for Red Hat