There are newer employer reviews for Red Hat

Red Hat is a company on the rise but to get their the will need to change a few things.

Current Employee - Inside Sales in Raleigh, NC
Current Employee - Inside Sales in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at Red Hat

Pros

High paced sales environment that is challenging.
Named brand recgonition and with growing market share
Competitive Salary
Growing partner base
Motivated sales reps

Cons

Mid Management has little to no power and cannot make any real decisions
Management's perceptions usually do not equate to reality although that is what our fearless leader seems to instill in his mid management.
Promotions are rare and our commission structure is cleverly designed to allow you to make less money that what you actually sell.(single year bookings????) It's a joke.
Poor benefits package
Less flexibilty than other companies seem to have.

Favoratism runs high in this department but I guess that's the same everywhere you go. However, some of the awards and promoitions are OBVIOUS products of favoritism and it seems if you want to get any where you have to kiss up hardcore, be a navy alumi, or come from IBM.

If you want to hire top talent then stop treating your employees like entry level staff. It seems that Red Hat is great place to work in terms of flexibility, openess, and growth.

However, the sales department does not fit this perception and I believe it is a result of our management and there way of thinking.

314 Other Employee Reviews for Red Hat (View Most Recent)

Good place to work

Current Employee - Principal Software Engineer in San Mateo, CA
    Current Employee - Principal Software Engineer in San Mateo, CA

I have been working at Red Hat

Pros

Fully committed to open source and the principles behind it.

Cons

Difficult split betwen being a virtual company and a traditional workplace with offices

Fix benefits

Great place to work

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Raleigh, NC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at Red Hat

Pros

Great place to work, where the culture is open, friendly, and ready to work hard to get the job done. Nice that it has a casual dress code and many open discussions.

Cons

There aren't a lot of women in high up leadership positions, especially on the sales side. Can feel like the good ol boys club sometimes, when almost all of the upper management are men driving their fancy cars and owning multiple homes, but I guess that's corporate America for you!

Would love to see my charitable activities going on. Instead of just writing a big check every year, bringing the employees together to run charity races, or work on Habitat for Humanity is a much better way to give back and boost employee morale at the same time.

There are newer employer reviews for Red Hat