Red Nova Labs

www.rednovalabs.com
Profile Unclaimed
There are newer employer reviews for Red Nova Labs

Like any startup, RNL comes with both opportunities and challenges.

Current Employee - Chief in Westwood, Jefferson, KY
Current Employee - Chief in Westwood, Jefferson, KY

I have been working at Red Nova Labs full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

There's a healthy balance of work and play.
Employees are enabled to flex their entrepreneurial muscles.
The organization is relatively flat and employees are encouraged to express opinions and drive.

Cons

As with any startup, the company is fly-by-the-seat-of-your-pants.
If you're looking for structure and comfortable day-by-day direction, this is not the place for you.
Red Nova Labs is definitely suited to those comfortable with change.

It's difficult to determine the appeal of 8-to-5 structure. Some employees thrive in that kind of rigidity, others do not. On a limited basis, Red Nova Labs enables employees to choose the right work-life balance for them.

10 Other Employee Reviews for Red Nova Labs (View Most Recent)

Great place to learn new skills and grow in your career.

I have been working at Red Nova Labs full-time

Pros

Red Nova Labs is filled with young, fun, gifted people. I look forward to coming to work everyday and am fortunate to work with people who are passionate about creating and/or supporting our product lines. The friendships I've made here have been invaluable to me in both my personal and professional life.

At many other jobs, you would be relegated to only knowing what is essential to your job title. This is not the case at RNL. I feel like everyone has the opportunity to learn new skills if they desire and the structure of the company provides the ability wear many hats, gaining invaluable knowledge along the way.

Overall, the culture embodies the "work hard, play hard" mentality. There may not be a party everyday, but working with this lively crew always keeps it interesting and enjoyable.

Cons

This organization would not be a good fit for you if you're looking for a structured, inflexible, process oriented environment. Priorities on projects change often and you have to be quick on your feet in order to be successful.

Compensation is also on the low end of average for most positions in the company. However, people are often given the chance to prove themselves in roles that they may be inexperienced in and these opportunities will help advance their careers in the future.

Red Nova Labs is one of a kind

I have been working at Red Nova Labs full-time

Pros

RNL is a rare gem. It's hard to find a place that really "gets it.” The company has evolved and grown immensely over time because the work is intentionally executed to create solid, meaningful results. There's not a lot of busy work or working just for the sake of working. It's all for a reason.

The team is wonderful. You won't find better people. Everyone leads an interesting life both in and outside of work. You can't put a value on that. I genuinely like everyone and consider many co-workers my close friends.

I'm not motivated by parties and hand-outs, but there's definitely plenty of that to go around. The website and social media aren't lying. You won't find another RNL.

The standards are high and people care about what they do. The final products reflect that. If you take high expectations as a challenge, you'll be proud of what you do and see the payoff.

Most importantly, the experience will grow you. You're not doing mindless work. You're part of a team that pushes you. You'll have more responsibility than you expected. You’ll learn to roll with the punches. And you're going to grow. When a new chapter begins, you will have plenty to speak to from your time at RNL.

Cons

As with any company, you can't ignore turnover. And it hits close to home when you're close to the people you work with. It's partly organic (life situations changing, moving, etc) and partly due to the nature of a small business. But that's part of the risk in working at a small company. There are plenty of safer options. You just have to weigh whether or not safer is better.

I credit most potential cons to the company being young. We're fun, passionate, and dramatic. That paired with perfectionism makes us hard on ourselves and expect better. I’m not sure if this is a pro or con but I think we tend to knit pick flaws and undervalue pros. I wouldn't want to lose the desire to improve and grow though. That's a pretty quick path to complacency.

Every small company has highs and lows. We've had both, but we're probably stronger because of it. I can't imagine myself anywhere else.

There are newer employer reviews for Red Nova Labs