There are newer employer reviews for Red Robin

Good people, poor corporate managment

Former Employee - Server in Seattle, WA
Former Employee - Server in Seattle, WA

I worked at Red Robin part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The people who work there are fun and friendly. There is a great team atmosphere, so everyone looks out for each other. The management is usually flexible with schedules.

Cons

Promotions are usually based on popularity and not on merit. You have to kiss- A** to the management in order to get a promotion, but it doesn't matter if you suck or not. At least in my store it was like that. Also, to the management, money is more important than the happiness of employees.

Advice to Management

Try to at least pretend to care about the employees, we know money is important but sometimes the desire to cut costs supersedes the ability to treat employees with respect.

Other Employee Reviews for Red Robin

1. Strict Heirarchy Impedes Growth

Former Employee - Host in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Host in Seattle, WA

I worked at Red Robin part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Red Robin seems to be a relatively "low-barrier" employer (no drug tests, criminal record not fatal to employment prospects, no experience required) but perhaps too much so. While I was there as a host at least 20 other hosts were hired on, making a grand total of somewhere around 40 hosts. It is definitely a good opportunity for someone who has been having trouble getting work.

Cons

It was nigh impossible to get enough hours. This was my personal experience. Management was horrible, and often creepy, hitting on female staff.

Advice to Management

Stop groping the waitresses

2. Horrible experience

Former Employee - Server in Pittsburgh, PA
    Former Employee - Server in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at Red Robin part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Tips were (usually) good. The restaurant was in a bad area and had a lot of entitled customers who would sacrifice anything to get their meal for free, so tips varied pretty frequently.

Cons

...everything else. The management (and most of the FOH staff) is awful. The staff are miserable and have zero ambitions or interests outside of talking about each other and the customers. Very, VERY cliquish. If you're not good friends with the right people, it reflects on everything - especially your schedule, even if the schedule is supposed to be "performance based". Some of the managers were some of the most disgusting people I'd ever met, making lewd comments to and about female servers, and with a pompous do-what-I-say-or-else attitude. Between the cliques and "performance-based" schedule (doesn't work when the restaurant is situated in a poor area! Your customers aren't ordering anything more, no matter how much you push.), full-time is impossible. Scheduling is also supposed to be flexible, but managers sometimes just ignored requested days off or scheduled employees explicitly when they said they could not work - and then punished employees for not finding someone to cover their shift! All in all, a bad place to work.

Advice to Management

Either monitor the performance based scheduling like you're supposed to or get rid of it.