Red Robin

www.redrobin.jobs
Employer Engaged
There are newer employer reviews for Red Robin

Okay place to work if you fit into the concept.

Current Employee - Server in Milford, OH
Current Employee - Server in Milford, OH

I have been working at Red Robin

Pros

I worked at Red Robin for 6 years. I liked the people that I worked with and enjoyed serving the customer base we had in our restaurant.
For a long time I was able to make decent money as a server and bartender there, and they offer benefits if you average 25 hours per week, which was nice.
It's a very CLEAN restaurant. The company has exceptional health and safety standards, which is something that I really admired.
Their four cornerstones and Core Values are a nice idea and a non-normative philosophy for a restaurant concept. This was something else that I originally found very appealing.

Cons

The Cornerstones (People, Gift of Time, Smiling Burgers, Core Values) and Core Values (Honor, Integrity, Seeking Knowledge, Having Fun) are not followed very well.
The bottom line and the almighty dollar seem to be of primary importance to the company. To the detriment of the employees.
Red Robin is a family restaurant, but it's not very friendly to older workers, especially those who have families. They consistently favor young college students in hiring practices, scheduling, and promotions.
When I worked as a trainer, I felt very taken for granted and taken advantage of. I had to stop training new team members temporarily due to financial trouble caused by my training schedule, and was treated horribly over it.
Rather than firing people outright, they systematically try to force people into quitting, and if that fails, they use the write-up system to find something to fire people for.
There is no consistent standard or due process for infractions. People who are consistently tardy may not ever get a write-up, while others who are less well-liked may get fired as examples.
During my time with the restaurant, they consistently over-scheduled for the amount of business we were doing, which led to a general atmosphere of stress and dissatisfaction among team members who were unable to make ends meet.
Recently, the store I worked at began hiring several new servers, in spite of there being multiple notes by the schedule from people who would like to work more. They had already cut everyone's hours to less than 20/week prior to hiring the new servers, and more cuts came as the new servers finished training.
Managers spoke often about wanting to employ people who are "bought into" the concept of the restaurant, which is a nebulous idea. What I was told, during a period of high work-and-life-related stress was that it's "just not enough anymore to show up to work and do a good job."
During the end of my time as a Red Robin team member, I felt unappreciated, insulted, devalued, and ultimately dehumanized by the Red Robin "concept." I feel as though the company was asking for a high level of commitment from me as an employee without being willing to provide a similar level of commitment to me as an employer.

Live up to the Core Values that you claim to promote in your team members. Remember that the four Cornerstones in the concept are not strictly limited to guests and issues of value perception and marketability.
Treat your employees like people. They are not just Red Robin Robots, and expecting them to act like they are 100% of the time is not a realistic or reasonable expectation.
If you give people reason after reason to be disillusioned with the concept, it is hard for people to consistently and honestly adhere to it.

453 Other Employee Reviews for Red Robin (View Most Recent)

It was ok

Current Employee - Assistant General Manager in Charlottesville, VA
    Current Employee - Assistant General Manager in Charlottesville, VA

I have been working at Red Robin

Pros

Compensation packages are fair, and I think that all in all the experience was very educational for learning about how to manage people for a new manager.

Cons

The hours are terrible; however, that is more of an industry con than a specific restaurant con. I didn't feel that my work was as appreciated as it should have been.

Red Robin's focus when I first started with the company was Team Members first, then guests, then shareholders. Before I left, the emphasis on profitability was just too much to handle.

Overall, a decent place to work.

Former Employee - Hostess in Portage, MI
    Former Employee - Hostess in Portage, MI

I worked at Red Robin

Pros

Fun Atmosphere, with very fun people. They rewarded employees who performed well. As far as working in the food industry, it is definitely a positive place to work. Management was easy to get along with and was very genuine with employees.

Cons

Management were very strict about time off. Employees were sometimes treated as though they were extremely replacable, and would be threatened of being fired for taking time off. Lots of training that seemed to be irrelevant to doing my job.

Focus more on employees at the lower level. Pay attention to their needs and wants, specifically in giving time off.

There are newer employer reviews for Red Robin