There are newer employer reviews for Red Robin

Very Friendly

Current Employee - Host  in  Escondido, CA
Current Employee - Host in Escondido, CA

I have been working at Red Robin part-time for less than a year

Pros

The Red Robin I work at is very laid back and very friendly. The managers are very awesome as well if you just make sure to do your job.

Cons

None that has happened so far.

361 Other Employee Reviews for Red Robin (View Most Recent)

Good casual dining. Good first job. Not a career.

I worked at Red Robin full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Fantastic training models. Great ideas of how a company "should" be run.

Cons

Unattainable goals, overworked, underpaid and understaffed.

Focus on the individual, too many cliques. Reward good behavior instead of moving the bad behavior from store to store.

Poor Clientele - Recommend A More Expensive Restaraunt

Former Employee - Server  in  Hendersonville, TN
    Former Employee - Server in Hendersonville, TN

I worked at Red Robin part-time for less than a year

Pros

Laid back environment, that has a majority of good people working there. Management is willing to work with you and try to keep you happy.

Cons

The types of customers this place attracts were a killer for me. Unfortunately, a large amount of the patrons that frequent Red Robin in Hendersonville are nothing more than trash. Anyone who has worked in the service industry knows the kinds of demographics I'm talking about (teens, rednecks, and ninjas). That being said, getting stiffed on tips was a very common occurence.

A lot of people want restaurant service on McDonald's money. They will be your most demanding customers and will smile to your face, thank you for the service, and then leave you nothing or an amount that serves as an insult. I don't know if people don't understand the fact that servers make just over $2 an hour, and are dependent on their tips, or they just don't care.

Management is aware and symapthetic to the problem, but there really isn't anything they can do about it. I mean management's bottom line is sales, so at the end of the day you might get a "that sucks, I'm sorry" from them but as long as the bill is paid they don't care. Throw on top of that the fact that once your cut, you are no longer taking tables that net you money but you still have about 45 minutes to an hour of side work where you are working for essentially nothing. There were more than a few nights I walked out of there not even averaging minimum wage.

Additionally, management gets all wrapped around the axel if your table orders water as a beverage. I understand that it is both in the restaraunt's and the servers' interest to get people to order sodas, teas, beers, etc. But management actually assigns a percentage number to you as a server and then gives you placement on the seating chart with the higher your number is. Essentially if you have a table of four and two of them order water to drink then your number is 50%. They look at anything below a 75% as bad. I never really understood the high emphasis put on this, because I can recommend all the freckled lemonaides in the world, but if someone wants water they are going to order it. Finally, management gets super worked up about the royalty program. The program is basically a card people get that they can swipe each time they eat there and eventually earn free meals. I get the reasoning behind the program, but the priority that is placed upon it just baffles me. They want you to start every greet with "Hello, my name is ________, are you all members of our royalty rewards program?". If they aren't then they want you to start explaining the program to them and telling them how you are going to sign them up for it. This makes for some very unnatural greets, because you have a table just staring at you like some used-car salesman while the whole time they just want you to take their drink order.

If you are thinking about waiting tables in the Hendersonville area I would really recommend going somewhere that has a higher average bill. I'm not saying you will be immune from crappy customers, but chances are the higher prices on average will drive away a lot of the rift-raft.

No criticism of management, because as I said earlier a lot the restaurant's problems are systemic to the people that choose to go there.

There are newer employer reviews for Red Robin

Worked for Red Robin? Contribute to the Community!