Redbox

www.redbox.com
  www.redbox.com
There are newer employer reviews for Redbox

Awesome at first and going down the tubes fast.

I have been working at Redbox

Pros

You can be on the move all the time. When the weather is nice, it is good to be outside. You can sleep in. Sleeping in is the best part. When the weather is awful, raining, snowing, ice, sleet, hail, below 0 temps, it is absolutely miserable.

Cons

Coinstar is the mother company of Redbox. Coinstar makes policies on a continual basis (I mean every week). There is extremely poor communication between all levels of management. They give no praise when it is deserved and there is absolutely no way of getting promoted when you are not centrally located within any area. I have worked for the company for several years. I was promised a promotion when one became available. Then when one did, I was told that the policy for promotion had just barely changed and that I lived 10 miles too far out of the central area. So, my promotion went to someone that had only worked for the company for 6 months. So, now they pay that person hourly to drive 30, 40, 50 miles to fix machines, and sometimes hundreds of miles. I'm sure glad that my ten miles would have hurt them so much. Just so that everyone is clear, I work my guts out and always have for this company....and no, you're not rewarded if you work hard. Nobody cares.

Remember that your success depends highly on the happiness of your employees and Coinstar has completely flushed that down the toilet in the last two years. Dissatisfaction is at an all time high. I don't know where they are getting all of these positive comments for Redbox but it does not give an accurate representation of what is really being felt out in the field. I, as of many that I work with, are completely honest and trustworthy people who work very hard. When a company constantly demeans its employees by threatening to fire them for the tiniest infractions and tells us that if we don't like it, there are sooooo many to take our place, it shoves morale down. Also, you know there are glitches within the system, but you don't care. You choose to blame the employees for missing inventory when it could just be sitting in a machine. Instead of focusing on where there actually might be an issue where people are stealing, you make a policy that you now must call your employees every month and ask them where 15 DVD's are when we handle tens of thousands. Now that Redbox is renting games, we've been told that if even 1 comes up missing, even if it is a glitch, we will be written up and fired. Everyone feels as though we are being accused of stealing and being accused of being dishonest. Yes, I know, one bad apple spoils the batch...but you make everyone pay. NOT GOOD. Figure out a way to boost morale or you're going to put your company is not going to survive when the economy turns around. I know many people who would quit today if they had a different job to go to. So guess what happens when jobs open up again.....you're going to have huge turn around on a constant basis...and I have a feeling that you will have problems with theft at that point because you won't be able to keep anybody around. What is the biggest insult is, is that I have NEVER stolen anything and many people that I work with have not either.

116 Other Employee Reviews for Redbox (View Most Recent)

Great company to work for.

I have been working at Redbox

Pros

If one is in a part-time position, the benefits are awesome. Full-time brings even more benefits. The people are great to work with as well.

Cons

I would like to see even faster growth than the company is exhibiting. This would lead to greater route expansion; leading to more working hours.

Be more aggressive in kiosk placement. There are many areas that would like to see your kiosks and take advantage of lower rental prices. You have a great idea.

This is a great job.

Current Employee - Field Service Representative Level II
    Current Employee - Field Service Representative Level II

I have been working at Redbox

Pros

I know that my direct management team supports me.
    When you are ready to work towards promotion, the opportunity to prove yourself is there.
    The job itself is fun and pretty direct.
    Even if customers have complaints they are happy to see you.
    The responsibility of being the only human interaction many customers get to experience.
    Movies!

Cons

It is not as easy going as one would expect of a job of this nature. It feels as if Market Share is not in balance with the Company philosiphy. Lack of communication and preparation when it comes to making many changes. It doesn't feel like the company views each market on an individual basis, even though it has a pretty extensive chain of command.

I know that the "Redbox Lifestyle" isn't as profitable as some business models, and in some cases has been abused, but it fosters a willingness to do more and strive more in many employees (I know that I turned down a higher paying job with better benefits because I appreciated the way that Redbox was treating me).
    Many of our new procedures feel like they should be focused on markets that are consistently not meeting goals or are regularly having problems. If a market is having a problem, then that market may need more guidance. If an individual is having a problem, then that individual may need more guidance. Some reigning in seems necessary, but doing so this stringently and widespread instead of viewing each market as an individual growing creature can easily become a bigger waste of resources.

There are newer employer reviews for Redbox