Redfin

There are newer employer reviews for Redfin

Great!

Current Employee - Software Developer in Seattle, WA
Current Employee - Software Developer in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Redfin full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Friendly people, great culture, up-potential, lots of perks and events,

Cons

Some growing pains around transitioning from a small to a large engineering org. Not really a con, but an interesting time with lots of opportunity to make it an even better place.

Keep us on the winning track!

91 Other Employee Reviews for Redfin (View Most Recent)

Love Redfin Engineering

Current Employee - Engineer in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Engineer in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Redfin full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Company Wide
    * Awesome co-workers all around. Engineering/RealEstate/Marketing/Operations - just great people
    * Great health benefits for employees and their families
    * Glenn (CEO) is awesome. He is extremely candid and transparent. I feel like I can walk into his office at any time and speak to him about any idea/issue/decision. At my last company, senior management had little communication with the rest of the organization. Spent too much time playing politics and raking in their big bonuses. Total opposite here. I feel like Glenn and co want everyone at Redfin to succeed, and truly care about each employee.
    * Other random benefits include ton of free food, catered lunch at HQ and SF offices, lots of happy hours, parties, get-togethers.
    * Good work-life balance
    * People are customer focused and have great values. Always want to do the right thing for the customer

Engineering
    * Extremely smart co-workers. Before joining, I had no idea that engineering was so strong. Mix of really good Senior Devs/PMs and top-tier university recruits that know their stuff.
    * Everyone is extremely helpful and accommodating. No egos here.
    * 2 Hackathons per year. Build some great prototypes and new technologies with people across different teams.
    * Engineering tries to keep meetings to a minimum to let devs work on actually building things.
    * Lots of interesting (and challenging) projects to work on

Cons

* Free food, way too much of it
    * There are some dev annoyances (tools/builds/deploys) that could be improved. This should mostly be alleviated by changes currently being implemented
    * Seems like work-life balance varies by team. Senior management tells employees to ensure they have a healthy work-life balance, but not sure it's always possible in practice.

Awesome job

This is the truth believe it or not, the truth never lies

Current Employee - Real Estate in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Real Estate in Washington, DC

I have been working at Redfin full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great Perks and benefits for web designers (aka engineers). Free lunches, great salary, free sports tickets. Just read all the good reviews, they all come from the engineers.

Cons

Real Estate agents- Are over worked. 70-80hr weeks for very low pay. The middle managers do not know anything. Its the blind leading the blind. Glenn CEO, Scott VP of Reops claim to have a Open door policy: HA! What a joke. Yes the door is open and you can come in with your problem, but once you walk out, you get fired. I have witness this numerous times already, good people let go because they were trying to help make Redfin a better place.

I see current employees pretend to be happy, knowing that they dread their job. They hate the management team. For a company which cares about reviews and NPS scores so much. The companies own NPS score is so low.

No training: They claim to have a training program. terrible, terrible. They don't have the slightest clue how to train people and motivate them. Again the blind leading the blind. I have never seen such waste of time and money. Company likes to train and create cheerleaders.

Growth in the company: Yes the company is growing, yes they hire within, but what they do is promote their friends not the best for the job. I have seen this numerous times already.

It all starts from the top: Glenn CEO, very smart guy, great engineer and developer. Problem is that he has zero experience running a real estate company, never been a licensed agent, does not have a clue how to generate revenue in real estate. All decisions begin and end with Glenn.

Read all the reviews decide for yourself. Better yet Experience it for yourself. Once you do, Bookmark this, come back to this review and know that I was 100% correct.

Treat your employees better and more fair (real estate operations). Yes Redfin is a tech company in the fact that its a website, but you GLENN need to realize that you are 100% a real estate company because 100% of your revenue comes from home sales. The faster you realize you are not Apple the faster the company can grow.

There are newer employer reviews for Redfin