Redfin

www.redfin.com
Employer Engaged
There are newer employer reviews for Redfin

Interesting, fulfilling, great compensation, best place to be an Agent

Current Employee - Senior Agent in San Francisco, CA
Current Employee - Senior Agent in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Redfin full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Great pay, inspirational company mission, smart people. An experienced agent will make 100k+/yr in my market. Excellent benefits, fun atmosphere, amazing downtown office with nice perks. A very smart company. Redfin has all of the positives of a corporate atmosphere, with very few of the negatives. Like traditional real estate, which I was in for 8 years prior to redfin, no one is breathing down your neck. Managers are like-minded and sharp, with a relaxed and comforting attitude. Best of all, managers were previously agent, so there's no disconnect when talking about issues. Unlike traditional real estate, the emphasis is on customer satisfaction, not sales production. It's a much more fulfilling atmosphere overall. You don't get the "greed is good" feeling that I had when working in the 100% commission world.

I don't quite understand the work-life balance complaints in other reviews, though markets vary. As a top producer in my market, closing 4- 5 times the deals as a traditional agent, I rarely feel overwhelmed. When talking with my friends about their daily schedules, most of whom work at startups and earn ~90k/yr, I actually get the sense that my daily routine is relatively light.

I'm a "senior agent" and, while it's not for everyone, it's definitely ideal for entrepreneurial types who need a flexible schedule. My position is very rewarding. If you want to make more, you can work more, or visa versa. No one will judge you if you want to only do a couple deals/month and focus more on good reviews. But, if you want to close a lot of business, you will be recognized and rewarded with good pay. Expect to work every other weekend, but you can easily take off during the week. Granted, you can make more money at a traditional brokerage, but the emphasis is on "can." An interesting career is more rewarding than money.

This job is NOT for emotionally charged folks. If other people's opinion of you affect you dramatically, do not work for redfin. You're constantly judged, sometimes intensely and negatively. You can't derive your self-worth from redfin, but that goes for any job.

My typical weekday scheduled:

8:30AM - 9:30AM - Check email, follow up with missed calls from previous evening.

10:30AM - 11:30AM - Work-out

11:30AM - 12:30PM - Read and travel to office

12:30PM - 4:00PM - Email, phone calls, misc tasks at office or in the field.

4:00pm - 7pm - Be available for tours. You'll usually work 2 - 4 evenings/week. Often times you can just take half the day off and explore the city. You're expected to be in the field anyway so your time is never monitored by a manager.

So, while your work day starts and ends within a wide range of hours, there are often significant windows of time where you can knock out errands, chat with friends, mess with facebook, etc. Most of my non-redfin work hours are spent investing in real estate, which an ideal project for redfin agents, as your gross salary supports very lucrative real estate acquisitions. For those complaining about the pay, get real (estate)! Leverage your money and derive your wealth from investing, not a wage.

Cons

Marketing department is apparently understaffed. Very minor no-brainer ideas and campaigns are dead in the water because of silly corporate requirements.

Agents should be paid more for tours in markets where EVERYTHING requires an appointment. Often an entire hour will be spent setting up a 4-6 home tour.

Push for more "boots on the ground" marketing. If we're to become a dominant listing brokerage, we need to do tried & true marketing campaigns in conjunction with online strategies like price whisperer. We have an opportunity to leverage our online tools to a huge degree. Redfin 4.0!

108 Other Employee Reviews for Redfin (View Most Recent)

Great company, amazing people!

Former Contractor - Associate Agent in Chicago, IL
    Former Contractor - Associate Agent in Chicago, IL

I worked at Redfin as a contractor (more than 3 years)

Pros

As an associate agent I enjoyed the extremely flexible schedule. We set our availability which could change daily if needed. If we aren't open for events we don't get scheduled. I don't know of any other positions that allow so much flexibilty. The wonderful team made the job so fun. A lot of members have been here for years and have become more like family. The customers were great to work with. It was a pleasure getting to know so many amazing families that were very excited about the business model.

Cons

Most of the demand is for weekend/evening events. In order to accomodate these requests more agents were needed which made the week day work a little more scarce. I am not sure this is completely a con, because it shows that the company wants to take care of the customers which should be number one. If there was a better way to solve this while keeping everyone happy I am sure it would be taken into consideration. I worked in the Chicago market and the management team was excellent at listening to our ideas and implementing what made sense.

The leadership team is phenomenal! Thank you for always hearing our voice and doing what could be done to make Redfin an even better place to work. I can't imagine the growth will ever limit your approachability, but if I had to give any advice, I would say to make sure it doesn't. The team loves that we can come to you and you will listen. We appreciate your experience and knowledge. We know you are outstanding human beings and actually care about our success and happiness. That is so hard to find and we very much value what you bring to the table. So, the only advice is don't let the quick growth change that:)

Agent - Redfin

Current Employee - Agent
    Current Employee - Agent

I have been working at Redfin full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

You get to close many real estate transactions and learn a lot about real estate.

Cons

You will have no life. The time and effort you put into this job does not pay off.

Create a better program for vacation time for the real estate side of business.

There are newer employer reviews for Redfin