Redfin
www.redfin.com Seattle, WA 1000 to 5000 Employees

Interesting, fulfilling, great compensation, best place to be an Agent

Senior Agent (Current Employee)
San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Redfin full-time for more than a year

ProsGreat pay, inspirational company mission, smart people. An experienced agent will make 100k+/yr in my market. Excellent benefits, fun atmosphere, amazing downtown office with nice perks. A very smart company. Redfin has all of the positives of a corporate atmosphere, with very few of the negatives. Like traditional real estate, which I was in for 8 years prior to redfin, no one is breathing down your neck. Managers are like-minded and sharp, with a relaxed and comforting attitude. Best of all, managers were previously agent, so there's no disconnect when talking about issues. Unlike traditional real estate, the emphasis is on customer satisfaction, not sales production. It's a much more fulfilling atmosphere overall. You don't get the "greed is good" feeling that I had when working in the 100% commission world.

I don't quite understand the work-life balance complaints in other reviews, though markets vary. As a top producer in my market, closing 4- 5 times the deals as a traditional agent, I rarely feel overwhelmed. When talking with my friends about their daily schedules, most of whom work at startups and earn ~90k/yr, I actually get the sense that my daily routine is relatively light.

I'm a "senior agent" and, while it's not for everyone, it's definitely ideal for entrepreneurial types who need a flexible schedule. My position is very rewarding. If you want to make more, you can work more, or visa versa. No one will judge you if you want to only do a couple deals/month and focus more on good reviews. But, if you want to close a lot of business, you will be recognized and rewarded with good pay. Expect to work every other weekend, but you can easily take off during the week. Granted, you can make more money at a traditional brokerage, but the emphasis is on "can." An interesting career is more rewarding than money.

This job is NOT for emotionally charged folks. If other people's opinion of you affect you dramatically, do not work for redfin. You're constantly judged, sometimes intensely and negatively. You can't derive your self-worth from redfin, but that goes for any job.

My typical weekday scheduled:

8:30AM - 9:30AM - Check email, follow up with missed calls from previous evening.

10:30AM - 11:30AM - Work-out

11:30AM - 12:30PM - Read and travel to office

12:30PM - 4:00PM - Email, phone calls, misc tasks at office or in the field.

4:00pm - 7pm - Be available for tours. You'll usually work 2 - 4 evenings/week. Often times you can just take half the day off and explore the city. You're expected to be in the field anyway so your time is never monitored by a manager.

So, while your work day starts and ends within a wide range of hours, there are often significant windows of time where you can knock out errands, chat with friends, mess with facebook, etc. Most of my non-redfin work hours are spent investing in real estate, which an ideal project for redfin agents, as your gross salary supports very lucrative real estate acquisitions. For those complaining about the pay, get real (estate)! Leverage your money and derive your wealth from investing, not a wage.

ConsMarketing department is apparently understaffed. Very minor no-brainer ideas and campaigns are dead in the water because of silly corporate requirements.

Agents should be paid more for tours in markets where EVERYTHING requires an appointment. Often an entire hour will be spent setting up a 4-6 home tour.

Advice to Senior ManagementPush for more "boots on the ground" marketing. If we're to become a dominant listing brokerage, we need to do tried & true marketing campaigns in conjunction with online strategies like price whisperer. We have an opportunity to leverage our online tools to a huge degree. Redfin 4.0!

Great company, amazing people!

Associate Agent (Former Employee)
Chicago, IL

I worked at Redfin as a contractor for more than 3 years

Pros: As an associate agent I enjoyed the extremely flexible schedule. We set our availability which could change daily if needed. If we aren't open for… Cons: Most of the demand is for weekend/evening events. In order to accomodate these requests more agents were needed which made the week day work a… Advice to Senior Management: The leadership team is phenomenal! Thank you for always hearing our voice and doing what could be done to make Redfin an even better place… Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend – I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company… More

Agent - Redfin

Agent (Current Employee)

I have been working at Redfin full-time for more than 3 years

Pros: You get to close many real estate transactions and learn… Cons: You will have no life. The time and effort you… Advice to Senior Management: Create a better program for vacation time for the real… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend – I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company… More

There are newer reviews on Redfin.

Worked for Redfin? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Redfin reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Redfin CEO Glenn Kelman. All reviews posted anonymously by Redfin employees.