Reed Elsevier's clueless management

Current Employee - Consulting Software Engineer in Dayton, OH
Current Employee - Consulting Software Engineer in Dayton, OH

I have been working at Reed Elsevier Group

Pros

Great salary. Very smart and experienced people.

Cons

Complete lack of substantive communication from senior management. They communicate, but we have no clue why they do what they do.

Advice to Management

Tell us when the layoffs will stop. Tell us what the overall strategy is.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

In a cutthroat market, you need to be in touch with all employees.

Former Employee - Editor in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Editor in New York, NY

I worked at Reed Elsevier Group

Pros

Reed Elsevier provides a decent salary and package, compared to the rest of the industry, which is in dire straits.. Some nice co-workers made the experience pleasant on a day to day basis. Management is pleasant on the face of it, as it is most places in publishing, but gives poor, useless, or no feedback while a project is going on. It has a good reputation in an industry which has the shakes, thanks to diversified products that keep its neck above water.

Cons

There is poor communication throughout the system, a throwback to an era when things moved along at a lazy pace in publishing. But it matters a lot today. Heavy on the politics, even to the detriment of work time.

Advice to Management

Better communication up and down. Reward outstanding contributors to the team effort.

Low pay, and mind-numbing work, but you can take lots of days off...

Former Employee - Journals, Editorial Production in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Journals, Editorial Production in San Diego, CA

I worked at Reed Elsevier Group

Pros

The company is based in Europe, so the attitude throughout the U.S. offices seems to be a tad more "Euro" also. Great vacation time, sick time, AND personal days. Managers are known for being fairly chill and understanding. There is also the opportunity to travel if you have been at the company long enough, and if you are lucky, basically.

Cons

LOW pay and VERY limited opportunity for advancement, even though management (via corporate)tries to act like there is, by requiring you to fill out a "personal development plan" that is basically BS. It is a genius idea to keep us motivated, but it becomes a big joke to anyone who had been there longer than a year. My branch was also littered with people who were probably considered "unemployable" for the most part, and were just happy to have a job.

Advice to Management

Be a bit more candid about our significance in the company. We know there is little to no chance for promotion. We know our job is easily replaced by outsourcing (or more sophisticated softwware). Don't kiss our ass and give us a condescending pat on the head (or a measly $5 starbux card) when we do something right. Anyone who has a half a brain can see through it and it's demoralizing.