There are newer employer reviews for Reed Elsevier Group

Would not recommend this as a positive place to work.

Former Employee - Manager in Philadelphia, PA
Former Employee - Manager in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at Reed Elsevier Group

Pros

compensation and benefits were fair

Cons

very "European centric"; leadership not in tune with day-to-day activities

Advice to Management

more involvement and communication with employees

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

Uninspired senior managment

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dayton, OH
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dayton, OH

I worked at Reed Elsevier Group

Pros

Great co-workers, until they left for better places to work

Cons

Management is so unknowledgeable about the business that they constantly hire outside consultants to tell them what to do. We've seen every one you can name. Bain, McKenzie, Monitor, PWC, and others. They even had an initiative one year on "Innovation." And of course, Crispin Davis hired an outside consulting firm and paid them millions of dollars to run an "innovation" program. Be innovative, or else!!! In that program, of the ideas that "won," and were therefore funded, none ever came to anything. The one I was most aware of was quietly killed after about two years, having achieved absolutely none of its objectives and having cost a ton of money. OF COURSE all this was funded by cutting programs for normal everyday business. True innovation, either by ongoing improvement, or leapfrog ideas, is smothered, because management doesn't trust people with ideas. They only trust people with MBAs from a specific handful of business schools and then only if they have had work experience with-- you guessed it, those consulting firms.

The senior management of Reed Elsevier Group doesn't know enough about the companies in the group to be able to assess the decision-making and leadership of the management teams for the divisions.

Advice to Management

Crispin Davis is being replaced. To the new guy I say: look very very carefully at what is going on, especially in the United States. Read all the reviews on Glassdoor.com about all the RE companies. There is a lot of concern and complaints about outsourcing, but even putting that issue aside, you need to be aware that the management of these companies is abysmal. Oh, and by the way, all that outsourcing? Check into whether the cost savings are really there over the long term. And further, what will be the ultimate incremental cost if you try to repair the significant loss in quality (a concern which is being brushed aside, as the message gets massaged at each level as it goes up the management chain).

Reed Elsevier's clueless management

Current Employee - Consulting Software Engineer in Dayton, OH
    Current Employee - Consulting Software Engineer in Dayton, OH

I have been working at Reed Elsevier Group

Pros

Great salary. Very smart and experienced people.

Cons

Complete lack of substantive communication from senior management. They communicate, but we have no clue why they do what they do.

Advice to Management

Tell us when the layoffs will stop. Tell us what the overall strategy is.