Low pay, and mind-numbing work, but you can take lots of days off...

Former Employee - Journals, Editorial Production  in  San Diego, CA
Former Employee - Journals, Editorial Production in San Diego, CA

I worked at Reed Elsevier Group

Pros

The company is based in Europe, so the attitude throughout the U.S. offices seems to be a tad more "Euro" also. Great vacation time, sick time, AND personal days. Managers are known for being fairly chill and understanding. There is also the opportunity to travel if you have been at the company long enough, and if you are lucky, basically.

Cons

LOW pay and VERY limited opportunity for advancement, even though management (via corporate)tries to act like there is, by requiring you to fill out a "personal development plan" that is basically BS. It is a genius idea to keep us motivated, but it becomes a big joke to anyone who had been there longer than a year. My branch was also littered with people who were probably considered "unemployable" for the most part, and were just happy to have a job.

Be a bit more candid about our significance in the company. We know there is little to no chance for promotion. We know our job is easily replaced by outsourcing (or more sophisticated softwware). Don't kiss our ass and give us a condescending pat on the head (or a measly $5 starbux card) when we do something right. Anyone who has a half a brain can see through it and it's demoralizing.

Other Reviews for Reed Elsevier Group

Unsure about future

Current Employee - Systems Analyst  in  Dayton, OH
    Current Employee - Systems Analyst in Dayton, OH

I have been working at Reed Elsevier Group

Pros

Good location, decent facility. Employees generally able to balance work & home life.

Cons

Limited career path. Outsourcing / offshoring will probably continue. Other IT career opportunities in Dayton are limited.

Even a reasonably intelligent person can detect BS so don't give it to us.

Elsevier needs to think before it acts, look at all the other companies failing due to short term financial focus

Current Employee - Concerned Employee  in  Miamisburg, OH
    Current Employee - Concerned Employee in Miamisburg, OH

I have been working at Reed Elsevier Group

Pros

People, Technology A sense of ownership in the process.

Cons

Its diffiuclt to advance your career, no clear cut objectives and measurements for advancement

Get a clue. Think about what it is you just forced the organization to do and rethink your intentions. Short term gain focus ultimately causes significant friction in the the long term. I think you only need to look at AIG and other foundering institutions who based many of their recent decisions on the short term gain and shor term shareholder happiness

There are newer employer reviews for Reed Elsevier Group.

Worked for Reed Elsevier Group? Contribute to the Community!