Reed Elsevier NV

www.reed-elsevier.com
  www.reed-elsevier.com
There are newer employer reviews for Reed Elsevier NV

Great place to start a career; unsure that you'd build a career beyond your first 2 positions at the company.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA
Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Reed Elsevier NV

Pros

Good place to learn the ropes of being a knowledge worker. Entry level positions provide opportunities to learn and practice customer interaction, process management, time management, etc. that are applicable in other roles in the company and/or in other companies period. Good performance at the entry level puts you in good favor with middle management.

Cons

Recruitment is shady. Sometimes, promotions out of one position into another may sometimes be driven by middle management's need to fill a position rather than the need select and hire the most competent candidate. Though, how can they be blamed when their managers and directors, the departmental and divisional managers, show favoritism towards certain employees and display a habit of announcing people into positions -- positions that were never opened for application INTERNALLY? This has all led to my distrust of the managers of my department and division -- I question their intentions and their competence when good and valuable employees feel shafted from opportunities because they never had the chance to apply because they never knew a position was opening up. SHAMEFUL!

Time is no excuse for preventing people with the opportunity to apply for a position. All it is is a cover-up for how poorly you've developed your reports and how poorly you managed your recruitment process. There are a lot of people that work hard at Elsevier that deserve the chance to prove themselves -- all they're asking for is the chance. Why is that so difficult to give?

I cross my fingers that Ian Smith can make some great strides in this part of the culture.

7 Other Employee Reviews for Reed Elsevier NV (View Most Recent)

Stunningly competent!

Former Employee - Editor in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Editor in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Reed Elsevier NV

Pros

Large, international, long-term focus, competent

Cons

Too large, not-local, overly goal focused, disorganized

Communicate more and actually do something productive. The counting of words to determine the value of an opinion is an approach that fails to take into account content quality and is only concerned with the amount of content.

Lovely to work for, not perfect

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Amsterdam (Netherlands)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Amsterdam (Netherlands)

I have been working at Reed Elsevier NV as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

Diverse workforce.
    You work with educated people.
    Access to scientific publications
    Every day is a challenge.
    Flexible working hours

Cons

Can be difficult to get a permanent contract.
    Communication could and should be better
    The canteen is mediocre at best

Learn to communicate with us, especially regarding reorganisations. We want to know what is happening when it may affect our jobs.

There are newer employer reviews for Reed Elsevier NV