Regional Economic Models

Positive

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Amherst, MA
Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Amherst, MA

I have been working at Regional Economic Models

Pros

Coworkers, interesting work and cliients

Cons

Too much to do, high pressure, multi-tasking

15 Other Employee Reviews for Regional Economic Models (View Most Recent)

Great Opportunity to Involved in Policy and the Big Picture

Current Employee - Associate Economist in Amherst, MA
    Current Employee - Associate Economist in Amherst, MA

I have been working at Regional Economic Models full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good opportunity for people that are motivated and want to advance in the policy arena. Work is never boring with a good sense of satisfaction knowing your work is help good discussion making in government. Management allows employees to have a lot of responsibility within their position. Company values and rewards self motivators.

Cons

Not for people interested in hiding in big companies.

Make sure you find the right type of employees for your positions because not all people are comfortable with taking charge of their own careers.

Under no circumstances should you actually accept a job offer with this dumpster fire of a company.

I worked at Regional Economic Models

Pros

There is nothing remotely positive about this ultimately unnecessary company when compared to the immense onslaught of negatives.

Cons

I honestly don't know where to even start the discussion of cons here, so I guess I'll just start from the beginning of your potential start at REMI. When you begin, you'll be unknowingly thrown into a weird competition with other people you started with and quickly realize that there aren't as many jobs to go around for all of the new hires. It's basically Office Space meets Hunger Games. This would be bad enough if they only hired local college grads, but they like to ship people in from all over the United States to unknowingly compete for a job they had been led to believe they were already given.

If you happen to be one of the few who make it past the initial reaping, you'll be subjected to nonstop harassment and insults until the day you quit or get fired. Management will taunt you, belittle you in front of your coworkers, threaten to not let you eat, blatantly gossip about you to your coworkers directly in front of you...the list really goes on and on.

Your job title will probably be some form of "economist," but make no mistake, you won't be doing a shred of economic analysis. No, your days will be spent randomly cold calling regional bureaucrats throughout the United States who have next to no interest in actually talking to you, all while trying to get them to attend some seminar in scenic Hartford or Sacramento. This is a brutal sales position that borrows more from Al's Used Phones and Radios Definitely Not Stolen From Cars Emporium than McKinsey or an actual respectable firm in the consulting industry.

You will receive no training. You will receive no feedback. You won't even really have any idea what you're supposed to be doing. The only reason this company is remotely profitable is that it's one of two firms in the entire United States that participates in this specialized field. This measly profit margin is just big enough to inflate the ego of management, but just small enough to prevent any of it from trickling down to the lower-level associates.

Now that I've fleshed out the narrative, I'll just go to bullet points of real things that actually happened while I worked at this company for years. These are all true stories:

-Remember that episode of The Office where Michael Scott has to fire somebody, but he is too afraid to and ends up waiting until right before the staff Halloween Party to do it, so everyone just stares glumly at each other in their now entirely inappropriate costumes while fully knowing someone just lost their livelihood? Yeah, this actually happened at REMI my first year there. Literally a shot-for-shot remake.

-At our quasi-mandatory Christmas Party, the CEO berated us for not being on the road selling things for him at that exact moment.

-Two years ago they decided to fire about 20% of the Amherst office. Instead of just doing it all at once to minimize the pain, management picked one new person to fire every day and spread it out over a full week.

This probably sounds like the rant of a disgruntled former employee, but honestly, it's simply my plea to the uninformed out there who may be considering accepting a job at this company. Please, stay away. This company will undoubtedly make your life significantly worse and offers absolutely nothing positive to offset the misery. You'll be misled, lied to, belittled and devalued, and you'll leave the experience with nothing to show but a slightly above average resume boost.

Advice for the hopeless is music for the deaf.

There are newer employer reviews for Regional Economic Models