Regis Corporation
www.regiscorp.com Minneapolis, MN 5000+ Employees

Constant negativity, no raises.

Stylist for BoRics - 15 Years (Current Employee)
Chicago, IL

ProsGuaranteed rate of pay, although it is minimum wage... HOWEVER, you are NOT guaranteed HOURS. If you are scheduled for 32, you may only get 20 because the management reserves the right to send you home if customer flow is down.

They offer classes, but you don't always get CEU hours. What's the point?

ConsThe company sends out TOO MANY COUPONS and they are not capped against our sales. ALL coupons are deducted from our total sales, which bring down our commission totals. The company recently emailed all current registered customers a flyer for SEVEN DOLLAR HAIRCUTS. Are you kidding me? Is my time and talent REALLY WORTH $7? Will I now be written up for low sales?

Full timers do not get holiday pay; it is just another day off. The stores are open on Sunday, so if you have a family, you have to practically bargain/beg for a weekend day off to spend with them because Saturdays are MANDATORY.

They say they offer medical benefits, but they are so expensive that it eats up half of one of your checks (you get paid twice a month).

It is ALWAYS the stylists' fault if sales are down - even if no customers walk in the door. Besides coupon mailers, the company has made NO effort to advertise our salon brand. We are expected to upsell EVERYTHING - "haircut and shampoo? how about a wax and conditioning treatment as well. How about a $10 bottle of product?" ... and don't take no for an answer. Offer another discount. Who knew that buying a bottle of shampoo is like buying a used car? Be pushy (and in the process, make sure that customer NEVER returns to your store again.) Sales suggestions may work for new customers, but as for the regulars (who are our bread and butter), we know them and their families, and also know that they are coming in for the $13 haircut and nothing more - USUALLY with a coupon in their hand. You can't treat a family walk-in based quick service salon like a full-service salon. You will NOT get the same sales results.

You will get written up. A lot. Working for this company is like working for a haircut sweatshop. You may hypothetically bring in $50 per hour in sales with fabulous TOTALS, but if those sales are not spread over a certain % in products, % in waxes, % in color and % in conditioning treatments, you may as well have not done anything at all, because the management does not see the total, they just see percentages in specific types of sales. (hey, I see you did 14 cuts in 4 hours while working alone, with a $45 productivity per hour... but you COULD HAVE DONE/SOLD A COLOR SERVICE and let it process while you did ANOTHER cut, which would have added $50 to your totals, so, congratulations on the sales, but... gotta write you up.)

Upper management treats salon employees like peasants. We don't get any raises, so the employee who was hired yesterday makes the same amount as someone who has been there 10 years, however, the company can afford to send all upper management overseas for a week-long paid vacation each year that they mask as a "meeting." Want to make more money as a stylist? Work faster to bring in more sales - and even then, you may get an extra few cents tacked on to your hourly as "commission." Sorry, but the 60 year old stylist or the pregnant stylist will not work as fast as the 20 year old.

They claim to have incentive prizes. These prizes are always based on total sales, which sucks if you are part-time, and the "prize" is usually something that would cost the employee no more than $50 out of pocket at a store. An individual stylist has to compete with ALL other stores in the area or sometimes in the REGION with just ONE winner....and that's an incentive?

What's this I've been reading about free lunches in other posts? HA! Not at the salon level. Is that where my raises are going? Free lunches to home office employees? Free lunches to the area and regional supervisors? Supervisors who use the company vehicles as their own so they burn up MORE money in gasoline for personal/family use? When we at the salon level, (you know, the worker bees who actually BRING IN THE MONEY SO MANAGMENT CAN HAVE THE FREE LUNCH) are told to go home because of a lack of sales, or who are written up for not selling enough waxes are not appreciated, it is no wonder there are so many disgrunteld employees. Someone may say "work somewhere else." This is difficult to do because Regis owns almost EVERY SALON BRAND.

Advice to Senior ManagementWAKE UP! We are the worker bees in the salons. We are the people who bring in the sales so upper managment can make their six and sometimes seven figure salaries. Happy employees equals happy clients which also equals RETURNING clients.

Been here for over 10yrs, and plan to stay another 10!!

Hair Stylist (Current Employee)
    Maplewood, MN

I have been working at Regis Corporation

Pros: I like working at Regis more because of the relationships… Cons: benefits package for stylists isnt all that great More

Very flexible with work hours, and family firendly

Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Regis Corporation

Pros: The company has flexible work hours, which makes it nice if you a… Cons: The flexibility in the work schedule comes at the cost… Advice to Senior Management: Base hiring and promotion decisions on who is the most qualified or… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend More
There are newer reviews on Regis Corporation.

Worked for Regis Corporation? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Regis Corporation reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Regis Corporation CEO Daniel J. Hanrahan. All reviews posted anonymously by Regis Corporation employees.