Regis Corporation

TGF=FAST MONEY

Current Employee - Hair Dresser/Stylist/Barber in Houston, TX
Current Employee - Hair Dresser/Stylist/Barber in Houston, TX

I have been working at Regis Corporation

Pros

I worked for TGF for 5 years. During that time, I really liked how the company will work with your hours. I was in college so it was important for me to get specific hours to work. TGF perfers to hire full-time but some of the salons will allow you to work part-time hours. We got every other sunday off unless you don't mind working every Sunday. At TGF, the salon is walk-in based. It's fast money when you fresh out of school. For someone who is inexperienced, it is good to start somewhere that has a lot of walk-ins to improve your cutting technique.

Cons

I did notice that TGF hires hair stylist fresh out of school which is great. I find the first year always the hardest when you don't have any training. TGF has advanced videos in hair cutting you can watch when it is slow. There is no hands on training in hair cutting other than the paying customers. The managers are picked not of their ability to be a leader but the amount they make for the company. There is no training for management either. Managers are not educated with dealing with irriate customers. This becomes an issue becuase the customers will not return.

I do think additional training for management will improve. Picking managers should be an overall analysis of the person. Keeping your employees happy should improve the morale in the company and increase profits.

219 Other Employee Reviews for Regis Corporation (View Most Recent)

"Pay me, don't just praise me"

Current Employee - Salon Manager/Receptionist in Sioux Falls, SD
    Current Employee - Salon Manager/Receptionist in Sioux Falls, SD

I have been working at Regis Corporation

Pros

It is a large, internationally known company with lots of opportunity to go on great trips as incentives. As long as I keep my salon growing and productive I have a chance to win a trip abroad every year. I have been to Cancun, China, Greece and Portugal; places I would never have had the chance to see. I have made some life long friends on these award trips and hope to earn many more. It would be very easy to transfer within the company almost anywhere in the world.

Cons

There doesn't seem to be a method of performance appraisals at any level (unless it is just in my region). The former owners of our division of the company believed very strongly in judging on performance, both from levels below and from above. They also rewarded success monetarily based on merit. I don't see that currently.

Remember to give feedback on a consistent basis. I also would like to see year end rankings from salons in the same group so I know what to aspire to.

Feast or Famine!

Former Employee - Stylist in Allentown, PA
    Former Employee - Stylist in Allentown, PA

I worked at Regis Corporation

Pros

The best reason to work for Holiday is if you're fresh out of beauty school and need to get some experience under your belt. If it's a fairly busy shop, the volume of customers will help you learn to be quicker and hopefully better your skills.

Cons

The hours stink. Because most locations are in a mall, you're working retail hours. I had no home life when I worked there... the shop was 45 minutes from my house and I wasn't getting home until after 9:00 PM. And good luck taking a lunch break unless the shop is empty. There's nothing worse than having customers give you the evil eye as you walk out to get a quick bite. They don't know or care that you've already been there for 6 hours and are starving!

The pay scale is dreadful unless the shop is busy and/or you already have a dedicated clientele. You must bring in 2.5 times your hourly wage per week in order to make 40% commission. BUT the kicker is you don't make 40% on the whole. You only make 40% of the difference, which they just tack on to your hourly wage, which is only $7.15 as of 12/31/08. To illustrate: if you work 32 hours a week at $7.15 per hour, your wage is $228.80. To make any commission, you must make service sales of AT LEAST 572.00 that week. (Which breaks down to $17.88 per hour.) Say you made service sales of $600.00 for that week. You'd get 40% of $28.00. A whopping $16.80.

Because their services are relatively inexpensive in comparison to appointment only salons, be prepared for lousy tips unless you have regular customers who appreciate your work. I'm a very good stylist, and I've had women not tip me after having been in my chair for 2 hours with a spiral perm, which happened to be on sale that month. You will also get slammed with Holiday's reputation for hiring stylists with no experience. Regardless of how good you are, everyone will give you a story about how someone from Holiday butchered their daughter's/neighbor's/classmate's hair. The stigma is definitely there, but since most people are too impatient to make an appointment elsewhere, they keep coming back.

And our district manager was a control freak. She made us track our weekly progress by doing calculations based on at least 3 different computer reports. She also made us HAND ADDRESS large stacks of coupon postcards, which we sent to random people out of the phone book. Most of them came back as undeliverable, and we had to take time out from our work to do it. When you're hourly plus commission, that's really an insult. She also came in to supervise our delivery of inventory, which is very simple and very routine. By doing so, we felt that she didn't trust us and/or didn't feel we were capable of completing such a simple task.

We're hairdressers, not book keepers. The computer tracks each and every sale from each and every stylist, so if you need to constantly monitor our progress, get your figures there. We're too busy busting our butts.

There are newer employer reviews for Regis Corporation