Reliance Standard

www.rsli.com
  www.rsli.com
There are newer employer reviews for Reliance Standard

Good company with little opportunity for advancement

Former Employee - Underwriter in Chicago, IL
Former Employee - Underwriter in Chicago, IL

I worked at Reliance Standard

Pros

It was great organization if you are reletively new in to the insurance industry. The company is committed to training its employees and also provides opportunities for cotinuing education. They also offer tuition reimbursement which is an added benefit.

Cons

Smaller office with lack of opportunity for advancement. Managment was frequently chaning and therefore did not have a solid approach in relation to a business model. Despite this, management was very approachable and we generally great people to work for. However the lack of consistency resulted in lower annual bonuses particularly in recent times due to the failure in the us economy.

Create a business model that can be enacted consistently.

6 Other Employee Reviews for Reliance Standard (View Most Recent)

The job that made me lose faith in the corporate world

Former Employee - Group Sales Representative
    Former Employee - Group Sales Representative

I worked at Reliance Standard full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Oportunity to make great money if you hit your sales goals - Usually around $2M in premium, first year, in the midwest.

Cons

I was told on a regular basis... "Do whatever it takes to sell new business, but don't cross the line." The "mysterious line," however, eluded definition from anyone in management. After two successful years I noticed a pattern and it seemed to happen when I was at 90-95% of my sales goal, and always on the last few important cases of the year.

The underwriter, to whom our office reported, would "turn the faucet off... and I mean completely off!" I would present case after case. Good cases! Profitable - field-underwritten cases, only to be told "no." No explanation - Just, "no."

After speaking with a colleague about this I finally discovered the problem. Apparently "the infamous line" I wasn't supposed to cross, included providing monetary incentives to my underwriter. I was shocked and sickened. I didn't think this type of practice could exist in such a heavily regulated industry.

After bringing this to my Regional Manager's attention everything changed overnight. Believe it or not, he was more concerned about "who told me" than he was about the fact that it was actually going on right under his nose. Hmmmm I still wonder why?

In less than two weeks I was asked to resign. They also refused to pay me $5,300 in earned commission for the same month. I was glad to part company, but disenchanted and disappointed to say the least. My morals and values and this corporate culture were not compatible!

Management should stop turning a blind eye to what I later learned is common practice at RSL.

Very Good company to work for

Current Employee - Claims Examiner in Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - Claims Examiner in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at Reliance Standard full-time

Pros

Promotional opportunities, courteous co-workers, great IT staff

Cons

Challenging workload, high turnover, benefits slightly below avrage

Management does a great job. They listen, ask questions, and genuinely care about the employees

There are newer employer reviews for Reliance Standard