Reliance Standard

www.rsli.com

The job that made me lose faith in the corporate world

Group Sales Representative (Former Employee)

ProsOportunity to make great money if you hit your sales goals - Usually around $2M in premium, first year, in the midwest.

ConsI was told on a regular basis... "Do whatever it takes to sell new business, but don't cross the line." The "mysterious line," however, eluded definition from anyone in management. After two successful years I noticed a pattern and it seemed to happen when I was at 90-95% of my sales goal, and always on the last few important cases of the year.

The underwriter, to whom our office reported, would "turn the faucet off... and I mean completely off!" I would present case after case. Good cases! Profitable - field-underwritten cases, only to be told "no." No explanation - Just, "no."

After speaking with a colleague about this I finally discovered the problem. Apparently "the infamous line" I wasn't supposed to cross, included providing monetary incentives to my underwriter. I was shocked and sickened. I didn't think this type of practice could exist in such a heavily regulated industry.

After bringing this to my Regional Manager's attention everything changed overnight. Believe it or not, he was more concerned about "who told me" than he was about the fact that it was actually going on right under his nose. Hmmmm I still wonder why?

In less than two weeks I was asked to resign. They also refused to pay me $5,300 in earned commission for the same month. I was glad to part company, but disenchanted and disappointed to say the least. My morals and values and this corporate culture were not compatible!

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement should stop turning a blind eye to what I later learned is common practice at RSL.

Great company to be a part of

Sales Assistant (Former Employee) Pasadena, CA

I worked at Reliance Standard full-time for more than 8 years

Pros: Competitive Pay and Benefits, great co-workers Cons: In 2001 when a started at RSL they were very entrepreneurial, we could staff the sales office in the way we saw fit to make… Advice to Senior Management: Please see "Cons" above Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend More

Awful

Customer Care Associate (Current Employee) Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at Reliance Standard full-time for more than a year

Pros: Coworkers are great, I really enjoy the people I work with. That's always been… Cons: Company is awful, management do not manage effectively, prompting the moral of… Advice to Senior Management: Stop placing people in management positions who don't have the… – I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company… More
There are newer reviews on Reliance Standard.

Worked for Reliance Standard? Contribute to the Community!