There are newer employer reviews for Rent-A-Center

A Painful, Disgusting Experience

Former Employee - Credit Manager in Charlotte, NC
Former Employee - Credit Manager in Charlotte, NC

I worked at Rent-A-Center full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Weekly paycheck, get to work outside, some of my coworkers were really cool and genuinely nice people, every Sunday off

Cons

I could write an entire thesis on my experience with Rent A Center, but for easier reading digestion, I will stick to some main observations. In no particular order:

-Disgusting merchandise which was almost never fully re-cleaned before being spun off on the next lucky customer (keeping in mind that the idea of renting a mattress which had been "previously rented" sounds like the worst purchase anyone could make)

-A customer base which thinks nothing of lying to or deceiving RAC in any possible manner to keep possession of merchandise

-Daily pressure and absurd sales expectations, especially considering the customer base rarely changes for any particular store. You often rent/sell to the same customers whom you had just collected from the previous week

-Asked on more than one occasion to handle merchandise solo with weight in excess of 200 lbs

-I am a large individual with a solid frame, and some of the merchandise required to transport to and from homes were ridiculously heavy and near-impossible to maneuver. And you may be back to pick up the same furniture the very next week. But I'm sure RAC is happy they got that one $23.99 payment.

-Cockroaches in the store, the office, everywhere. The hired pest company would come, spray, and not even have one foot out the door before they came back. Complaints fell on deaf ears. Disgusting.

-Impossible to be sick. Impossible. Strep throat? Call the doctor line. Broken hand? Call the doctor line. Ebola virus? Call the doctor line. You get TWO sick days a year. And if you use one you are made to feel guilty.

-Need a Saturday off? Hahahahahahahaha, never gonna happen.

Stop renting to the same awful customer base that has never paid you, isn't paying now, and never will. Build a solid foundation. Practice what you preach with the work-life balance.

475 Other Employee Reviews for Rent-A-Center (View Most Recent)

Dont Waste Your time

Current Employee - District Manager in Miami, FL
    Current Employee - District Manager in Miami, FL

I have been working at Rent-A-Center full-time (more than an year)

Pros

It's a job! Work some where else

Cons

Upper Management, Hours, Pay, Demands, If you see a store manager that has been there for more than a year it is because they can not find any thing else, Almost 70% of the workers hate the job and working here only for the time until they find another. Call any store and they will tell you how bad it sucks, DO NOT WORK HERE , WHY DO YOU THINK THEY HAVE SUCH HIGH TURN -OVER . If you are reading this and take the job, trust me in 3 months you will hate the company and the job.

Hire educated Management. Ged and Highschool graduate's do not need to be manager's or DM, sadly some make it to RD level then fail. There is a reason why this company's core RTO is failing .

Poor chance for advancement poor raises

Current Employee - Credit Manager in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Credit Manager in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Rent-A-Center full-time (more than an year)

Pros

job stability
    not really much else

Cons

horrible raises, only store managers make a decent living
    as a asst. manger or lead you are expected to run the store for about a .50 cents an hour raise
    inflexible hours, you work from open to close.
    insurance is very expensive

Pay your employees a decent wage, they shouldn't have to work 8-10 hours a week overtime just to have a paycheck they can live on

There are newer employer reviews for Rent-A-Center