Rent-A-Center
www.rentacenter.com Plano, TX 5000+ Employees

A Painful, Disgusting Experience

Credit Manager (Former Employee)
Charlotte, NC

ProsWeekly paycheck, get to work outside, some of my coworkers were really cool and genuinely nice people, every Sunday off

ConsI could write an entire thesis on my experience with Rent A Center, but for easier reading digestion, I will stick to some main observations. In no particular order:

-Disgusting merchandise which was almost never fully re-cleaned before being spun off on the next lucky customer (keeping in mind that the idea of renting a mattress which had been "previously rented" sounds like the worst purchase anyone could make)

-A customer base which thinks nothing of lying to or deceiving RAC in any possible manner to keep possession of merchandise

-Daily pressure and absurd sales expectations, especially considering the customer base rarely changes for any particular store. You often rent/sell to the same customers whom you had just collected from the previous week

-Asked on more than one occasion to handle merchandise solo with weight in excess of 200 lbs

-I am a large individual with a solid frame, and some of the merchandise required to transport to and from homes were ridiculously heavy and near-impossible to maneuver. And you may be back to pick up the same furniture the very next week. But I'm sure RAC is happy they got that one $23.99 payment.

-Cockroaches in the store, the office, everywhere. The hired pest company would come, spray, and not even have one foot out the door before they came back. Complaints fell on deaf ears. Disgusting.

-Impossible to be sick. Impossible. Strep throat? Call the doctor line. Broken hand? Call the doctor line. Ebola virus? Call the doctor line. You get TWO sick days a year. And if you use one you are made to feel guilty.

-Need a Saturday off? Hahahahahahahaha, never gonna happen.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop renting to the same awful customer base that has never paid you, isn't paying now, and never will. Build a solid foundation. Practice what you preach with the work-life balance.

Customer account representative

Customer Account Representative (Former Employee)
    Nacogdoches, TX

I worked at Rent-A-Center full-time for more than a year

Pros: Good benefits Decent pay Great opportunity for promotiom Overtime if wanted Good skills(Collections and… Cons: Schedule Micro-managed Hard work Manual Labor No social life Advice to Senior Management: Pay more for the hard work and hours. Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend More

ungrateful

Sales Associate (Current Employee)
    Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at Rent-A-Center full-time for more than 5 years

Pros: job stability, over time, no sundays Cons: not good raises, unrealistic goals Advice to Senior Management: pay more to bilinguals No, I would not recommend this company to a friend – I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company… More
There are newer reviews on Rent-A-Center.

Worked for Rent-A-Center? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Rent-A-Center reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Rent-A-Center CEO Robert D. Davis. All reviews posted anonymously by Rent-A-Center employees.