Rent-A-Center

www.rentacenter.com
  www.rentacenter.com
There are newer employer reviews for Rent-A-Center

race to the top at any cost

Current Employee - Sales Manager in Bakersfield, CA
Current Employee - Sales Manager in Bakersfield, CA

I have been working at Rent-A-Center full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

decent health coverage without a union

Cons

middle management creates unnecessary stress and creates there own company policies to succeed and get promoted.

treat your customers and employees with respect,

512 Other Employee Reviews for Rent-A-Center (View Most Recent)

You must drink the Kool-Aid

Former Employee - Store Manager in Lowell, MA
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Lowell, MA

I worked at Rent-A-Center full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

decent wage for retail
    no sundays (for now)
    not commission based

Cons

I last worked for RAC 6 months ago, but I gave them 5 years of my life. By that I mean working at RAC literally steals your life away. They do not care if you have a spouse, kids, or personal hopes and dreams. You will pretty much never see them again. It is a joke among employees with a running tally of how many divorces RAC has caused. You must work 8am-until the work is done. If you do not hit arbitrary metrics the work is not done. The more kool-aid you drink the more you give until you are suddenly working 8am-9pm five days a week. If you do something to better yourself on your days off (like take college courses) management will actively try to stop you - up to and including cancelling your day off. There is no requirement to have a degree at any level so their reasoning is why would they want you to get one...you'll only be able to leave the company for better options more easily. If they keep you from getting a degree you will feel stuck there. (This is the reasoning I was presented by my District Manager).

Job duties include:
    1) Calling delinquent customers repeatedly (at least twice a day) and then being told to sell them something else when they finally make a payment.
    2)Delivering product to dangerous neighborhoods in hazardous conditions (they don't care if there is a blizzard, you need to deliver that big screen so the crack head can steal it)
    3)Bug bombing the truck and store on a regular basis for roaches and bedbugs
    4) repossessing product from those same dangerous situations (and now they are pissed)
    5) repossessing bedroom sets from small children.
    6) being constantly harassed by management to "hit 5.9%" and be "up" on the week

The hourly rate may sound good to a stockboy from another environment but in the greater scheme of things the pay is terrible, the benefits package is a joke, and health care costs are double out of the standard employee's paycheck over average.

Advice to management: try treating the employees with a modicum of respect.
    Advice to current employees: there are jobs out there that will both pay well and treat you with respect
    Advice to applicants: Run, quickly, in the opposite direction.

A Painful, Disgusting Experience

Former Employee - Credit Manager in Charlotte, NC
    Former Employee - Credit Manager in Charlotte, NC

I worked at Rent-A-Center full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Weekly paycheck, get to work outside, some of my coworkers were really cool and genuinely nice people, every Sunday off

Cons

I could write an entire thesis on my experience with Rent A Center, but for easier reading digestion, I will stick to some main observations. In no particular order:

-Disgusting merchandise which was almost never fully re-cleaned before being spun off on the next lucky customer (keeping in mind that the idea of renting a mattress which had been "previously rented" sounds like the worst purchase anyone could make)

-A customer base which thinks nothing of lying to or deceiving RAC in any possible manner to keep possession of merchandise

-Daily pressure and absurd sales expectations, especially considering the customer base rarely changes for any particular store. You often rent/sell to the same customers whom you had just collected from the previous week

-Asked on more than one occasion to handle merchandise solo with weight in excess of 200 lbs

-I am a large individual with a solid frame, and some of the merchandise required to transport to and from homes were ridiculously heavy and near-impossible to maneuver. And you may be back to pick up the same furniture the very next week. But I'm sure RAC is happy they got that one $23.99 payment.

-Cockroaches in the store, the office, everywhere. The hired pest company would come, spray, and not even have one foot out the door before they came back. Complaints fell on deaf ears. Disgusting.

-Impossible to be sick. Impossible. Strep throat? Call the doctor line. Broken hand? Call the doctor line. Ebola virus? Call the doctor line. You get TWO sick days a year. And if you use one you are made to feel guilty.

-Need a Saturday off? Hahahahahahahaha, never gonna happen.

Stop renting to the same awful customer base that has never paid you, isn't paying now, and never will. Build a solid foundation. Practice what you preach with the work-life balance.

There are newer employer reviews for Rent-A-Center