Want family time? HA! Get another job.

Former Employee - Store Manager  in  Duncan, OK
Former Employee - Store Manager in Duncan, OK

I worked at Rent-A-Center full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Sunday off
Pretty good dental coverage
Pretty good vision insurance
Possible to meet some nice/interesting people in the line of doing normal business

Cons

Horrible hours (8 am to 9 pm on multiple occasions)
Mostly 50+ hours a week for a lot of employees
No family life at all!!!
Sick? Too bad, you get 2 "sick days" and God forbid you use them. I had strep throat 2 months in a row and COULD NOT take more than a day off at a time (we all know it takes more than a day to get over strep)
I was a manager at one time and I had a 6 month period where I only got Sunday off. I couldn't take my other day off during the week because we hadn't hit our expectations.
If you ever make someone above you feel like you're after their job then you should really start looking for another job because they will do EVERYTHING to make you quit.
It doesn't take more than a month or so to start getting burned out. When I was first hired, I worked 8 months on a 3 person crew when we were supposed to have a 5 person crew. It's hard enough when there's one person out for one day much less having 2 people gone for MONTHS.

Get over this "number" thing. Hire more than your standard 5 person crew to work your 50 hour weeks. There is a lot of room to have a couple of part time employees. You pretend to care about the well-being of your employees but it's a LIE. You need to reevaluate that.

Other Reviews for Rent-A-Center

race to the top at any cost

Current Employee - Sales Manager  in  Bakersfield, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Manager in Bakersfield, CA

I have been working at Rent-A-Center full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

decent health coverage without a union

Cons

middle management creates unnecessary stress and creates there own company policies to succeed and get promoted.

treat your customers and employees with respect,

You must drink the Kool-Aid

Former Employee - Store Manager  in  Lowell, MA
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Lowell, MA

I worked at Rent-A-Center full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

decent wage for retail
    no sundays (for now)
    not commission based

Cons

I last worked for RAC 6 months ago, but I gave them 5 years of my life. By that I mean working at RAC literally steals your life away. They do not care if you have a spouse, kids, or personal hopes and dreams. You will pretty much never see them again. It is a joke among employees with a running tally of how many divorces RAC has caused. You must work 8am-until the work is done. If you do not hit arbitrary metrics the work is not done. The more kool-aid you drink the more you give until you are suddenly working 8am-9pm five days a week. If you do something to better yourself on your days off (like take college courses) management will actively try to stop you - up to and including cancelling your day off. There is no requirement to have a degree at any level so their reasoning is why would they want you to get one...you'll only be able to leave the company for better options more easily. If they keep you from getting a degree you will feel stuck there. (This is the reasoning I was presented by my District Manager).

Job duties include:
    1) Calling delinquent customers repeatedly (at least twice a day) and then being told to sell them something else when they finally make a payment.
    2)Delivering product to dangerous neighborhoods in hazardous conditions (they don't care if there is a blizzard, you need to deliver that big screen so the crack head can steal it)
    3)Bug bombing the truck and store on a regular basis for roaches and bedbugs
    4) repossessing product from those same dangerous situations (and now they are pissed)
    5) repossessing bedroom sets from small children.
    6) being constantly harassed by management to "hit 5.9%" and be "up" on the week

The hourly rate may sound good to a stockboy from another environment but in the greater scheme of things the pay is terrible, the benefits package is a joke, and health care costs are double out of the standard employee's paycheck over average.

Advice to management: try treating the employees with a modicum of respect.
    Advice to current employees: there are jobs out there that will both pay well and treat you with respect
    Advice to applicants: Run, quickly, in the opposite direction.

There are newer employer reviews for Rent-A-Center.

Worked for Rent-A-Center? Contribute to the Community!