Rent-A-Center

There are newer employer reviews for Rent-A-Center

honest review

Former Employee - Acct Manager
Former Employee - Acct Manager

I worked at Rent-A-Center full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

RAC gives people the opportunity who either have no credit or bad credit an option to pay weekly, biweekly, or monthly for mdse. They have a wide selection of mdse including top of the line cpus, tvs, lvrm, bdrm, and mattresses.

For me, I worked in the best store in the district I was located in. Unlike credit card companies, rac does not work with credit but instead works one on one with customers. This is good because you get to know your customers and their families very well. The people and the quality of new mdse are pros of working there. The option of buying mdse at 15% above cost is a major perk of working there.

RAC provided me with brand new furniture, a tv, a cpu, a table, and a new washer and dryer. They also helped me rent an apt, and buy a car. If I didnt have that job, I wouldnt have any of that.

Cons

RAC is a "what have you done for me lately" kind of work place. It doesnt matter what you did last year, last month, last week, or even yesterday. They care about what you are doing today to control your deliveries, SMRR, and collections. Some of the stores did illegal activities to control their collections but mine did not. We did things mostly by the book.

Another con of the job is the mdse you pick up from people. Id say 5% of the customers have roaches or bed bugs. Roaches are a common site in the truck and I used hundreds of roach bombs to kill them. Although my boss was hard on me and my other coworkers, I have a lot of respect for him. He is not one to throw you under the bus like other people in the co would.

In my opinion, they need to focus more on what their "mission statement" which in my opinion is a joke. RAC doesnt care about the quality of life for their customers. They co cares more about hitting collection and sales #s than their actual customers. I loved my coworkers and customers but I speak the truth. Anyone who worked there for any length of time would be able to tell you that.

507 Other Employee Reviews for Rent-A-Center (View Most Recent)

My experience was bad and scary.

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative

I worked at Rent-A-Center full-time

Pros

there are no pros to this job

Cons

Don't have family time, working late till 8 pm or sometimes later. Requesting time off for the week end is not going to happen. This is a retail environment treat it as so. Management has their favorites and the rest are nothing. Sometimes the few or one does the assistants jobs along with their own. You are required to get things done in the field and get sales all the time just so the assistants or the manager can meet their quota for sales and they will take the sales even if you get the customer to comtreated like e in. The management mid and especially the upper management has their favs and the rest are nothing and slave labor. Management is always pushing for sales and telemarketing for all store employees but if you're out if the field and can't get to it you are in trouble.

Treat your employees including the CARs as human and not numbers. Everyone at the store level have families and need to be treated as so. The new core values are a joke they are not worth the paper their are written on. When an employee is let go make sure that they know their insurance ends the same month instead of being told they have another full month that they paid for. Also give them a letter explaining about their medical, dental, vision plans instead of having someone from benefits program say they should have seen that info on the racinet site.

Longest, yet worst job ive ever had!

Current Employee - Credit Manager in San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - Credit Manager in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at Rent-A-Center full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Weekly pay, decent health dental coverage, employee purchases, off Sundays

Cons

Worst work schedule ever... I was told latest we work is 8pm and 7pm on Saturdays.... I work daily till 9-945 pm, Pray you or your family doesnt have any emergencies because you wont be able to tend to them or dont plan to attend any family/school events without being threatened of losing your job.The company mission is sooo NOT true! How does rent a center define quality way of life for co-workers. Company recently bragged about its 3billion dollars it made last year.... what about the people who did alot to bring in that revenue?. Why not throw them a bone? Something?? No incentives whatsoever working at rentacenter.

Rotate saturdays, follow an accurate work schedule, monthly or quarterly incentives for the dedicated employees who do so much to contribute to rent a centers success.

There are newer employer reviews for Rent-A-Center